when after fusion/laminectomy do yo consider SCS therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinchandBurn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I typically wait atleast a 8months or 1 year before doing a SCS trial and usually after 1-2 ESIs didnt help. But I'm wondering if I'm too conservative....

Surgeons do their surgeries and usually tell patients, "it may take 6months to 1 year" to fuse. They tell their patients that we arent necessarily doing the surgery for pain, but to "stabilize" the spine. :(

I was recently told that in theory if after 3months and there's no fusion or pseudoarthrosis, then one should consider SCS. By 3months there should be some trabeculations,etc.

REcently, a few surgeons have told me, SCS doesnt work. My response is what do you want me to do after you have fused them 2-3 levels and they are still miserable and their spine is now "stabilized"?

Thoughts? I think there's a role for everyone, surgeons and pain physicians. We are all trying to manage a patient's pain in some manner. But it seems our guidelines or what each of us are taught are so different. Any clarity you guys can shine?

Members don't see this ad.

I had patients one month out of fusion coming to me for SCS. Of course I did not implant. My standard was 1 year.

Reactions: 1 user
REcently, a few surgeons have told me, SCS doesnt work. My response is what do you want me to do after you have fused them 2-3 levels and they are still miserable and their spine is now "stabilized"?

There are neurosurgeons who specialize in neuromodulation after completing all their actual surgical training so it must work just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the fastest for me has been about 4 months. Of course, I communicated with the surgeon about my plans.

so....is it just what we think is best? are there any clear guidelines that state we ought to wait 6months or 1 year before a trial??

Usually sometime between the time the staples come out and full release to activities. It's a race against time. Every heroin pill they take during post-op leads them closer and closer to iatrogenic addiction.