when applying to residency, what can you use from before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my question is essentially what can you do before med school that might be helpful in the residency match. my impression is that these things are limited to:

1) science publications
2) foreign languages, particularly spanish
3) that's it

is there anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

modelslashactor said:
my question is essentially what can you do before med school that might be helpful in the residency match. my impression is that these things are limited to:

1) science publications
2) foreign languages, particularly spanish
3) that's it

is there anything else?

Would applicable pre-med school healthcare experience be useful? I mean I spent 7 years as a paramedic, which helped me tremendously in terms of having exposure to patient care, knowledge of the importance of documentation, working under pressure, being part of a team, triage ability, ability to take charge in stressful life-and-death situations, etc.

I would think these things could help. Dunno, tho.

It depends on what you've accomplished and what you consider achievements. If you list it, it means you're proud of it. If you don't list it, it means it was minor at best.

Maybe any awards or scholarships. Volunteer activities. Leadership positions I think are fair game. Significant jobs. Interesting experiences (like travel/study abroad or independent projects). Of course, any hobbies or fun-fact-to-share would go on the bottom of the ERAS (like if you played sports or enjoy sports).

At the same time, if you don't have any, you don't have any. No big deal. Just don't misrepresent yourself.

I (and my friends) used volunteer work and leadership positions during college since no one really has time for this stuff during med school.