When are you considered a reapplicant? Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATrim7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last application cycle I sent my primary application to 22 schools, but only completed 3 secondaries due to my situation - MCAT 11,4?,11 and primary applications which were sent out in September due to completing my post bac in August.

Will I have to identify myself as a reapplicant at all 22 schools? Or are you only considered a reapplicant if you completed a secondary application in past app cycles? My gut feeling is that I do not have to identify myself as a reapplicant if I did not complete a secondary, but I am sure one of you knows.

Thanks for all of your responses and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

So you sent your primary application to 22 schools, if I'm not mistaken, you'll be considered a reapplicant for all 22 schools whether or not you actually completed the application by filling out your secondaries or not. I would email AMCAS to get an answer.

Last application cycle I sent my primary application to 22 schools, but only completed 3 secondaries due to my situation - MCAT 11,4?,11 and primary applications which were sent out in September due to completing my post bac in August.

Will I have to identify myself as a reapplicant at all 22 schools? Or are you only considered a reapplicant if you completed a secondary application in past app cycles? My gut feeling is that I do not have to identify myself as a reapplicant if I did not complete a secondary, but I am sure one of you knows.

Thanks for all of your responses and good luck!

Don't quite know an answer for you, but it seems that if you didn't get rejected from the schools then you never really applied. So I would think that you would only have to classify yourself as a reapplicant to the three schools you actually went fully through with. Again, these are just my thoughts

AMCAS PDF help file doesn't define "reapplicant". My guess is it's a school-specific policy. If there was a decision left up to the school at any time in the process (i.e. a school that screens primaries before sending you a secondary and decides not to send you one --> aka rejecting you), then i think just sending the AMCAS to them would count as you applying to them (hence, you would be a reapplicant since they reviewed you and decided to not take you to the next step). If a school simply sends a secondary to everyone who applies, without even looking at AMCAS until your secondary and other materials are in, and YOU decide not to continue the process by not filling out the secondary, then I'm not sure if that counts as you applying to them. Again, I think it'll be different on a school by school basis, so maybe email a few of them and see what they say. I'd love to hear any responses you get from them...good question