When are you planning to take DAT for 08 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if most of you are taking it in May or later?

Members don't see this ad.

i would suggest that everyone here who is applying for the 08 cycle start studying ASAP and not wait until summer even though many SDNers take the DAT the summer they are applying. the reason being that the people who have already taken it are at a tremendous advantage because schools will receive their completed applications very early in the cycle. take Case for example, they start sending interview invites in july and begin interviews in august. by september Case was filled for interviews through feb. read posts from the previous cycle and you will see that some ppl with very high stats did not get interviews at Case (and other schools) because they waited until later in the summer to take the DAT. doing well is important but so is getting your application in early, so start preparing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would suggest that everyone here who is applying for the 08 cycle start studying ASAP and not wait until summer even though many SDNers take the DAT the summer they are applying. the reason being that the people who have already taken it are at a tremendous advantage because schools will receive their completed applications very early in the cycle. take Case for example, they start sending interview invites in july and begin interviews in august. by september Case was filled for interviews through feb. read posts from the previous cycle and you will see that some ppl with very high stats did not get interviews at Case (and other schools) because they waited until later in the summer to take the DAT. doing well is important but so is getting your application in early, so start preparing now.

The one problem I see here is that you keep referring to Case. I'm not quite sure you're aware that every school has a different agenda. For instance, my state schools give out two days of interviews, and the other doesn't begin the interview process until October. I am also certain that many private schools continue interviewing through April and bits of May. I'm not sure if you were admitted this cycle or not because your handle conflicts with your post.

Anyways, for the original poster and all the others out there, you can't just take the DAT say 4 weeks from now just to get it over with. You need to set a study schedule for yourself and feel confident about the material. I had to delay my DAT from August to October due to being burned out as well as conflicts with graduate school and I was accepted to my number one. Though I don't recommend this to people out there, I would certainly see it acceptable to have your AADSAS application submitted by June as well as your DAT taken in the June to July months. Remember just because your file is the first one sitting on the door step of your dental schools doesn't mean you'll get interviewed right away. So those of you that are breaking your backs to get the DAT done before the summer, I commend you; but for those that just don't see it happening until June or July, don't stress about it AT ALL.

I took it this last Tuesday. I plan to have my application and materials in as soon as the 2008 cycle begins in 1.5-2 months, reason being that I'm already a senior in college and I really need to know before next summer what I'm doing the following fall.

These biology degrees aren't worth much out in the real world if you just have a bachelors, so I'm hoping to get into dental school in 2009 so I'll only be living at minimum wage for one year. :eek: