When asked why not PA, how did you answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I told a co-worker/buddy of mine tonight that I've decided to just go on and go to medical school as I've always wanted to do. I've tried to just settle with career 'x' or the idea of careers 'y' or 'z' but I find myself saying the school plus work experience could be better spent doing what I want to do...

Having said that, he asked 'why not be a P.A.? That's what I'd do.' I've had this thrown at me a couple other times. Let me remind you, he's 31, and married with two kids, hates clinic work and the schooling. I'm just now 28 and single. While I don't fully understand the curriculum that a P.A. goes through-two years school + yr rotation/residency??-I do know that the final decisions of treatments rendered are by the physician. I really see myself doing ortho being my exposure to sports med and having worked alongside orthos over the past few years. I like diagnosing, looking at the films, explaining to the patient what we see and if we are gonna take the non-op vs op route. No to mention being the orchestrator of the surgical intervention. Teaching, too. I don't mind the responsibility of it all.

How have any of you answered why not PA or even CRNP instead of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: I'm not looking for a really good job in healthcare. I'm looking for a mission.

I have two sisters who are PA's. Their decisions to do PA instead of med school were all about having time to raise their families and to have plenty of room to have a life outside work. Plus they were very intimidated by the length and intensity of med school. (One of these sisters got a 34 on her MCAT, with about a 3.7 in biochem. She's not wired for happiness, really, and she'll never be happy that she went PA. Not too likely she'd be happy as a doc, either.)

I do want to make a life out of my career. I don't have kids; kids would be the life career if I had some. When I was in software, I made it my life, which ended up being mostly pointless, unfortunately. But I love working crazy hours, being too involved, always thinking about work, being responsible for million dollar decisions every day, having lots of people depend on me to not screw up, and surviving by learning as fast as I can. I want to do all that, in some form, into my 80's. I would die fast as a retiree.

I ended a very close friendship last year, because the friend was continually appalled that I would invest this kind of time and money into a big fat ego trip instead of doing nursing or PA. I'll give "ego trip" a nod for some truth, but fundamentally, I have the brains and the energy and the desire and the opportunity to be a doctor, so why on earth would I choose the easier path? In the 3 years since I left software to try for medicine, I've never considered quitting for something easier. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have this chance.

Hope that helps some. Best of luck to you.

southpawcannon, if you're interested in learning about the PA path and profession, feel free to come visit over at www.physicianassistantforum.com and ask some questions. At the very least, you'll learn more about a career which more than likely would be closely intertwined with your own at some point in a DO/MD career.

I do need to tell you that you're a bit off-track in your beliefs that docs always have the "last word in treatment." Rather, I should say that it really depends on the area and the position. For example, some ED PAs work very closely with their docs, who review each chart and initial. Other PAs work in rural clinics as the sole medical provider, with a doc reviewing their cases only once a month. Still other PAs are heads of their departments, even involved in hiring processes. It's a diverse PA world out there, and more and more are there less and less 'norms' for the profession. But make no mistake...PAs often hold lives within their hands, and their work is none the less serious and mandating. They assess, they diagnose, they explain to the patient what they see, and many people depend on them not to screw up. It all depends on the experience of the clinician, and what both the supervising DO/MD and the PA feel comfortable with.

As to your main question, myself, I don't want to be a Doctor, and I don't want to be a Nurse..I want to be a Physician Assistant. When people ask me, "why not be a Doctor?", I simply tell them, "I don't want to be a Doctor, I want to be a PA." That's the truth. So the next time someone asks you, "why not PA?", just answer them truthfully and tell them...you don't want to be a PA, you want to be a Doctor. Besides, you've already explained to us one of the reasons...it sounds like you've got some ortho surg decisions ahead of you! Maybe I'll see you there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I spent some time shadowing in the ER at a local level 1 trauma center. During that time I witnessed on many occasions veteran senior attendings approach various PA's and askied for their insight or opinion on what they would do with patient X over in bed 1. The first time I saw that I was dumbfounded. How could a senior ER doc ask a PA this type of thing? Answer, because these particular PA's knew their stuff better than most docs. I also witnessed many code blues being run solely by a PA, with the doc looming in the back shadows, but saying nothing. I've also seen a couple of PA's who had every chart reviewed soon after admitting a patient, just to be sure. Heck, I shadowed a PA for 1.5 years because that's what I thought I wanted to do and thanks to him I am now on my journey towards a life serving and helping others. If/when I become an attending you can the bet the farm, I will be utilizing a close doc/PA relationship.

I also witnessed many code blues being run solely by a PA, with the doc looming in the back shadows, but saying nothing.

I was just going to point out the exact same thing I saw the other day in the ER. A code was proceeding with a room full of nurses and a PA actually running it. The only doctor I saw was outside the room typing on a computer.

IMO an aspiring physician needs to know the answer to this question just as much as an aspiring PA needs to know why not MD/DO.

DrMidlife, very interesting insight that you have 2 PA sisters. All this time I thought you didn't really have a handle on PAs...mea culpa. I do agree your one malcontent sister is probably not "hardwired for happiness"...I share her malady, but fight it continually. OTOH I don't have kids so I am free to go back to med school and adjust my sails.

I often tell people who ask me "should I be a PA or MD/DO?" that they need to know whether they can be content with knowing and doing less. Sure there are PAs who practice with very high autonomy and who run the codes, but in particular many specialty PAs have very limited autonomy. They tend to learn a lot about their specialty if they stay in it and will know more than a generalist PA or often many generalist physicians, but they are still limited in scope of practice and what they can do. They are paid well but for me this is not about money as much as it is that I want to practice fully at a level I know I am capable of.

OP, if you know you want to be the doctor, just say you want to be the doctor. It's enough.

L.

I spent some time shadowing in the ER at a local level 1 trauma center. During that time I witnessed on many occasions veteran senior attendings approach various PA's and askied for their insight or opinion on what they would do with patient X over in bed 1. The first time I saw that I was dumbfounded. How could a senior ER doc ask a PA this type of thing? Answer, because these particular PA's knew their stuff better than most docs. I also witnessed many code blues being run solely by a PA, with the doc looming in the back shadows, but saying nothing. I've also seen a couple of PA's who had every chart reviewed soon after admitting a patient, just to be sure. Heck, I shadowed a PA for 1.5 years because that's what I thought I wanted to do and thanks to him I am now on my journey towards a life serving and helping others. If/when I become an attending you can the bet the farm, I will be utilizing a close doc/PA relationship.

Pretty weak attendings. It's one thing for a resident to ask advice from the mid-levels, something I do all the time particularly from Respiratory Therapists, but a board-certified senior EM physician? You only think the PAs "know their stuff better than most docs" because you don't know anything yourself. Now, I'll grant you that a PA who has been working in an Emergency Department for twenty years is probably better at it than, say, a Family Practice doctor who hasn't set foot in the ED for twenty years but comparing apples on apples, the EM attending, especially if EM residency trained and board certified is way ahead of both of them.

Your respect for the abilities of mid-levels will never be higher than when you know the least. Humility is fine and if there's one thing you learn in spades during residency it is just that but it is also not necessary to underestimate your own abilities to avoid offending someone else.

You folks need to understand that the seven or more years your will spend training are not just a useless interlude where you are taught a bunch of unimportant minutia that nobody really needs to know. Your training is not interchangable with two years of PA training or a home-study based Nurse Practitioner course. If you think it is then you'd be stupid to go to medical school because the only difference between a mid-level and a physician are the initials after our names. As I said, you need to be humble but you also don't need to capitulate to the mid-level agit-prop which starts when you are dumb, young, and impressionable. If you had never heard of a PA until you were a fourth year resident and somebody said, "Hey, here's a guy with only two years of formal medical training who can do everything you can do just as well," you would laugh.

I also want to point out that my attendings loom in the back shadows when we run codes and only intervene if they see something stupid being done. Codes are not that difficult to manage if you can keep a few simple things straight in your head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx panda bear, that's more what I've seen in the ED that PAs (the good ones) are pretty independant, MDs HOPE that the PAs can handle most things without MD input so that the MDs can focus on their cases and more efficiently handle running the floor. Its funny hearing from an MD that they want PAs to be more independant, and on the flipside hearing from nurses that an RN should not ask "why", but rather should just follow the doctor's orders. I'm too new to understand what all is trained into medical staff regarding when they are allowed/encouraged to act on their intuition rather than run the situation by the more senior person. I suspect that in many ways PAs have less stress about if patients are receiving proper care, given they defer to MDs.

I have a PA friend (he's just finishing clinical year) and have heard some of the good, bad, & ugly on this, as it relates to my MD path versus PA.

Biggest differences I see, in general, are that MDs have the ultimate decision responsibility, are the ones who are in trouble if any error, have more administrative duties, and therefore less one-on-one patient time. And of course many more years of training. My PA friend went that route primarily to get practicing sooner (as an older person with many years pre-pa healthcare experience).

My daughter sees a PA at the pediatrician's office, which I think is great in that we get 45 minutes of his time versus 15 of an MDs time. For routine visits, I prefer a PA with that amount of time & adequate training.

Pretty weak attendings...

...Your respect for the abilities of mid-levels will never be higher than when you know the least.

Considering that a considerable amount of EM "mid-levels" more than likely have many years emergency experience on top of any experience garnered in the years after graduation, your statements are absolutely frightening. An experienced Physician wouldn't be able to ask advice of a tried and true colleague without appearing "weak" to you? For that matter, perhaps the doctor was just as interested in teaching the PAs he spoke with. I don't think you have any idea of how you come across. Further, to infer that respect for abilities of anyone will or should only be present if something is needed...what a sorry sort of value system you are attempting to create.

If I were that patient, I'd feel much safer with the seasoned attending who bounced their ideas around with their PA, versus you and your ego.

Last edited:
How have any of you answered why not PA or even CRNP instead of med school?

Sure. My answer was "it'd be a waste of my potential." I realise that mid-levels are valuable, but I'm under no illusion that they work on the level of knowledge that a true physician/surgeon does. I have the drive, intelligence, and willpower to become a physician, and no family to worry about, so why settle for being a mid-level?

Considering that a considerable amount of EM "mid-levels" more than likely have many years emergency experience on top of any experience garnered in the years after graduation, your statements are absolutely frightening. An experienced Physician wouldn't be able to ask advice of a tried and true colleague without appearing "weak" to you? For that matter, perhaps the doctor was just as interested in teaching the PAs he spoke with. I don't think you have any idea of how you come across. Further, to infer that respect for abilities of anyone will or should only be present if something is needed...what a sorry sort of value system you are attempting to create.

If I were that patient, I'd feel much safer with the seasoned attending who bounced their ideas around with their PA, versus you and your ego.

You implied that the senior Emergency Medicine attending approached a mid-level, with hat in hand so to speak, to ask that august personage for his advice on a difficult patient. You did not say that he was merely trying to teach the PA which is a different thing entirely. If you knew how Emergency Medicine works, you will know that our attendings don't really need a lot of help deciding what to do with a patient. So sorry.

Additionally, this is more of the same less is more, fewer is better agit-prop. A senior Emergency Medicine attending also has a lot of experience which as it builds on a much more solid education is much more valuable. Personally, you should not feel safe with an Emergency Medicine physician who needs to bounce his ideas around with his mid-levels. That's not actually how things are supposed to work and "ego" has nothing to do with it, something you will come to understand once you start your residency.

....How could a senior ER doc ask a PA this type of thing? Answer, because these particular PA's knew their stuff better than most docs...

This is a ridiculous statement. Like I said, people who are early in their medical training believe this because they don't know anything and feel acutely inferior to anybody in the hospital wearing a white coat who knows their job. As a medical student and even an intern you are at the bottom of a steep learning curve that seems insurmountable. A PA with two years of training is qualified for his job but even after many more years you will still feel barely qualified for yours as a resident. This is because your training is 1) better 2) more intense 3) longer and 4) more rigorous. The drawback is that you will feel like an idiot for a good portion of your residency but that doesn't mean mid-level training is equal or better.

Again, this is a statement of fact and has nothing to do with ego.

You implied that the senior Emergency Medicine attending approached a mid-level, with hat in hand so to speak, to ask that august personage for his advice on a difficult patient. You did not say that he was merely trying to teach the PA which is a different thing entirely. If you knew how Emergency Medicine works, you will know that our attendings don't really need a lot of help deciding what to do with a patient. So sorry.

Additionally, this is more of the same less is more, fewer is better agit-prop. A senior Emergency Medicine attending also has a lot of experience which as it builds on a much more solid education is much more valuable. Personally, you should not feel safe with an Emergency Medicine physician who needs to bounce his ideas around with his mid-levels. That's not actually how things are supposed to work and "ego" has nothing to do with it, something you will come to understand once you start your residency.

You showed nothing but impudence with the audacity to insult a veteran senior attending. You put yourself in your place with that comment, no one else really needed to. How do you know the details of the situation, how do you know the two hadn't worked hand in hand on such a case before in the past, or that the PA hadn't been a medic of many years experience? And yes, I should feel safe with someone of that much wisdom, certainly over a resident who's still wet behind the ears. Thanks for your opinion, that's mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a ridiculous statement. Like I said, people who are early in their medical training believe this because they don't know anything and feel acutely inferior to anybody in the hospital wearing a white coat who knows their job. As a medical student and even an intern you are at the bottom of a steep learning curve that seems insurmountable. A PA with two years of training is qualified for his job but even after many more years you will still feel barely qualified for yours as a resident. This is because your training is 1) better 2) more intense 3) longer and 4) more rigorous. The drawback is that you will feel like an idiot for a good portion of your residency but that doesn't mean mid-level training is equal or better.

Again, this is a statement of fact and has nothing to do with ego.

You showed nothing but impudence with the audacity to insult a veteran senior attending. You put yourself in your place with that comment, no one else really needed to. How do you know the details of the situation, how do you know the two hadn't worked hand in hand on such a case before in the past, or that the PA hadn't been a medic of many years experience? And yes, I should feel safe with someone of that much wisdom, certainly over a resident who's still wet behind the ears. Thanks for your opinion, that's mine.

Hey moderators, can you make us some new smilies?? I'm thinking of one that involves two, angry-lookin', yellow faces pissing at one another.

The preceding discussion speaks for itself.

I actually would have the problem of how to sound diplomatic about it when in fact it is simple: you think I want to struggle hard for an education only to wind up for the rest of my hopefully 30 year career watching new cohorts of physicians pass me by in terms of knowledge and skills. I guess that's ego. But I don't care.

I like to know what the elders here think is really being asked by these questions: why not a _______? As if going through all these hoops and staring down the barrel of middle aged debt overload is some half-hazard notion.

Why do interviewers ask these kinds of stupid questions?

You showed nothing but impudence with the audacity to insult a veteran senior attending. You put yourself in your place with that comment, no one else really needed to. How do you know the details of the situation, how do you know the two hadn't worked hand in hand on such a case before in the past, or that the PA hadn't been a medic of many years experience?

Paramedics certainly aren't qualified to suggest a course of treatment to a doctor or a PA, and I've worked with plenty who I'd consider to be good medics. Neither are the nurses, and I've got the utmost respect for the veterans that work in the department I'm in. That being said, they're both good for getting an opinion on a patient, and even the head of the hospital's EM group will ask them what they think of a patient from time to time.

You said a senior EM attending, and many years of experience working as a physician trump many years of working as any lower level. I see nothing wrong with casually bouncing an idea off of a knowledgable PA, but I'd have to agree that it would raise eyebrows for a doctor to be asking those trained to a lower level what he should be doing because he doesn't have a clue. And I don't say this as someone claiming to have a complete understanding of the practice of emergency medicine, but as someone who works there and observes the dynamics of the department.

Anyways, as for the original question, I've put in time thinking about if I could be happy and satisfied with myself to do something requiring less sacrifice than becoming a doctor, and the unfortunate answer is no. I want to be the guy managing the tough or critical patients, not letting someone else handle those while I deal with something more minor or just assisting someone else who's issuing the orders. Why limit yourself?

I see nothing wrong with casually bouncing an idea off of a knowledgable PA, but I'd have to agree that it would raise eyebrows for a doctor to be asking those trained to a lower level what he should be doing because he doesn't have a clue. And I don't say this as someone claiming to have a complete understanding of the practice of emergency medicine, but as someone who works there and observes the dynamics of the department.

These are all hypothetical presentations, because none of us honestly know what was going on between that attending and those PAs. We don't know if that patient was a 5 or a 1. But as someone who has also worked in the ED, I would see nothing odd about a Doc conferring with a PA, especially one who had worked in the ER for an extended period of time! Training of a "lower level" would mean next to nothing when considering someone who had been time-trained in the direct rigors of a specialty, certainly including the ED. If that person had graduated as a PA, but had been in charge of an ER for any substantial amount of time, that's when it would seriously come down to 'assisting' a Physician, imo...if that DO/MD needed to be elsewhere, they'd better damn well be sure of who they're leaving in charge. And if a conference between two such highly trained individuals raises your eyebrows, so be it. I'll put my faith in the judgment of a senior attending, anyday.

As for the rest of your statement, it would need to be better answered by an experienced PA with the know-how. And as for the original point of this thread, I think that everyone should do what it is that they want to do, period. In the end, patient wellness is the goal...however that's achieved is somewhat an incidental.

There is a lot of talk about "health care delivery teams". So if I was asked in an interview (which I won't be and wasn't), I would reply that I wanted to be the quarterback on the team.

I did think very seriously about PA school. I was very unimpressed by one program (didn't think it would actually teach much, and heard that was the case from those who had worked their graduates), and another, better program required so many prereqs, I basically could have up and gone to med school in the same timeframe. It would have cost half, but my pay would have been half too.

I figure I could maybe have handled PA if I had changed specialties every few years (do surgery for awhile, neuro for awhile, EM for awhile) to keep myself from getting bored, but that would mean crappy pay and reputation (as in midlevel world, it's all about experience). The ability to switch specialties was the aspect of PA that I thought was the coolest, and it wouldn't surprise me if eventually they take away that perk.

Sunfire must be trolling.

why does your status say medical school if you want to be a PA?

Training of a "lower level"....'assisting' a Physician...however that's achieved is somewhat an incidental.

And status as "medical student".

I'm not trying to wind you up, man, but this is coming off as a serious chip on your shoulder. It smacks of someone going to Community College arguing that their education is just as good and complete as a four-year university student's. Have you thought about just trying to get admitted to medical school so you don't end up a bitter PA?

I'm not trying to wind you up, man, but this is coming off as a serious chip on your shoulder. It smacks of someone going to Community College arguing that their education is just as good and complete as a four-year university student's. Have you thought about just trying to get admitted to medical school so you don't end up a bitter PA?

Completely Agree.

Sounds like someone couldn't get in to medical school and is trying to justify their shortcomings by devaluing physician training.

Ridiculous.

Your ability of communication is reduced to responding to my words with "trolling"? My, that's intelligent. You're certainly not much of a writer. And perhaps your undergrad education thus far hasn't properly trained you in details, but my status doesn't say "medical school" it says 'medical student'...i.e. a student of medicine. Learn a bit more about the PA profession and get back to me. Until there's a PA designation, that one is the most appropriate.

What's "ridiculous" are your and DeAlighieri's seeming inabilities to read properly. When you both are grown-up and capable enough to address the ideas presented without inane giggling, I'll be happy to converse with you further.

Last edited:
Now I understand your lack of response in the other thread, it's part of your character. Your ability of communication is reduced to responding to my words with the "trolling"? My, that's intelligent. You're certainly not much of a writer. And perhaps your undergrad education thus far hasn't properly trained you in details, but my status doesn't say "medical school" it says 'medical student'...i.e. a student of medicine. Learn a bit more about the PA profession and get back to me. Until there's a PA designation, that one is the most appropriate.

What's "ridiculous" are your and DeAligheri's seeming inabilities to read properly. When you both are grown-up and capable enough to address the ideas presented without inane giggling, I'll be happy to converse with you further.

LOL!

now i know you are definitely either an idiot or a troll. for your sake, ill assume you are a troll.

good day to you "PA", i mean "medical student", i mean student of medicine.

BWAHAHAHA

Sorry, I meant to say 'PA-Student designation', my bad.

Just put PA student under your name and select your status as health student.

As far as the OP: I'm working towards medical school because I seek to provide a higher level of care and skill that comes with the additional training and education in the formal medical school model. More autonomy and responsibility too.

Now, to be fair I am in my eighth and final year of medical training while you are, what, in your first year of PA training? I am hardly "wet behind the ears" or at least if I am the hospital is taking a huge risk leaving me in charge of the ICU at night.

These are all hypothetical presentations, because none of us honestly know what was going on between that attending and those PAs. We don't know if that patient was a 5 or a 1. But as someone who has also worked in the ED, I would see nothing odd about a Doc conferring with a PA, especially one who had worked in the ER for an extended period of time! Training of a "lower level" would mean next to nothing when considering someone who had been time-trained in the direct rigors of a specialty, certainly including the ED. If that person had graduated as a PA, but had been in charge of an ER for any substantial amount of time, that's when it would seriously come down to 'assisting' a Physician, imo...if that DO/MD needed to be elsewhere, they'd better damn well be sure of who they're leaving in charge. And if a conference between two such highly trained individuals raises your eyebrows, so be it. I'll put my faith in the judgment of a senior attending, anyday.

As for the rest of your statement, it would need to be better answered by an experienced PA with the know-how. And as for the original point of this thread, I think that everyone should do what it is that they want to do, period. In the end, patient wellness is the goal...however that's achieved is somewhat an incidental.

That is simply not true. Physician education is more detailed and time-intensive because it is not just a matter of on-the-job-training. Consider this: Suppose you took a beginning fourth year medical student and said, "Hey, you know what, fourth year and residency is bogus, we'll just let you work in an Emergency Department for a few years under some close supervision and in ten years nobody will know the difference between you and a board-certified EM physician." Would you be as well-trainied?

Of course not. You would automatically have missed out on four years of didactics, supervision in an academic environment, exposure to other specialties, and many, many important off-service rotations. I am, for example, finishing my sixth ICU month of my residency training which means that I have almost as much time learning just about critical patients as a typical PA gets for their entire clinical training.

Critical care is important to Emergency Medicine. At my department we are regularly forced to hold ICU patients until a bed becomes available and, not counting the initial decisions, we have full responsibiilty for them until they go upstairs. Where do PAs or our hypothetical fourth year medical student get their critical care training? How about OB/Gyn? ENT? Hand? Cardiology? Emergency Medicine is not just triage and referral. You do have to know something about a lot of things.

That's the criminality of it. That people can throw around ideas of equality and equivalence but at the same time have no idea what residency training involves. I can understand that because we see a lot of minor complaint many of you get confused and think there is nothing to the practice of Emergency Medicine (or any specialty for that matter) but that's only a lack of understanding on your part.

I am, as those of you who have read my now defunct blog know, not the biggest booster of medical training but that doesn't mean I think that two years of superficial training and a little OJT is equivalent to eight years of the real thing.

Kind of an easy answer for me: I want to know what's going on (not just play a supportive care role, i.e. nursing, or prescribe meds for common illnesses, i.e. PA). The "fun" of medicine for me lies in diagnosing and figuring out what's wrong with someone, even when the symptoms are bizarre and out of the ordinary.

To be able to do that, I really would need to go to medical school and learn the basic sciences in depth during those 1st two years. There's no substitute for acquiring that level of understanding. PAs might be able to handle a majority of common illnesses, but when you get down to it, if complications arise, or the symptoms are just atypical for whatever reason, you really need a physician, who can draw upon a deeper level of knowledge.

I like to understand (REALLY understand) things, so it would be immensely less satisfying for me to be a PA. Nursing would be even worse.

Now, to be fair I am in my eighth and final year of medical training while you are, what, in your first year of PA training? I am hardly "wet behind the ears" or at least if I am the hospital is taking a huge risk leaving me in charge of the ICU at night.

This wasn't about you and I, Mr. Superiority Complex Who Needs to Scoff on Midlevels, this was about you and a senior attending. I do acknowledge your education and residential experience, but I still strongly maintain my opinion in the matter of his or her wisdom over yours.

Last edited:
This wasn't about you and I, Mr. Superiority Complex Who Needs to Scoff on Midlevels, this was about you and a senior resident attending. I do acknowledge your education and residential experience, but I still strongly maintain my opinion in the matter of his or her wisdom over yours.

I don't know how you get superiority complex out of what Panda Bear is saying. You started talking about PA's who are better than physicians, and he said that, although PA's are important, that's a ridiculous statement for you to make because the education is miles apart. And, he explained your PA running a code by saying codes are easy to handle, implying your example wasn't indicative of the PA's superiority over the attending physician, it was more so the attending having faith that his PA can handle a relatively simple situation. Would you prefer the attending run in and push the PA out of the way for everything, or would you prefer the attending have faith in his PA?

P.S. There is a "Health Student" status designation. Medical student = student in medical school. I'm not trying to throw a low blow here, just simply saying that would help avoid any further confusion. If you feel like you need to further clarify, I'd suggest adjusting your "Member" status to PA Student.

That is simply not true. Physician education is more detailed and time-intensive because it is not just a matter of on-the-job-training. Consider this: Suppose you took a beginning fourth year medical student and said, "Hey, you know what, fourth year and residency is bogus, we'll just let you work in an Emergency Department for a few years under some close supervision and in ten years nobody will know the difference between you and a board-certified EM physician." Would you be as well-trained?

Of course not. You would automatically have missed out on four years of didactics, supervision in an academic environment, exposure to other specialties, and many, many important off-service rotations. I am, for example, finishing my sixth ICU month of my residency training which means that I have almost as much time learning just about critical patients as a typical PA gets for their entire clinical training.

Critical care is important to Emergency Medicine. At my department we are regularly forced to hold ICU patients until a bed becomes available and, not counting the initial decisions, we have full responsibility for them until they go upstairs. Where do PAs or our hypothetical fourth year medical student get their critical care training? How about OB/Gyn? ENT? Hand? Cardiology? Emergency Medicine is not just triage and referral. You do have to know something about a lot of things.

That's the criminality of it. That people can throw around ideas of equality and equivalence but at the same time have no idea what residency training involves. I can understand that because we see a lot of minor complaint many of you get confused and think there is nothing to the practice of Emergency Medicine (or any specialty for that matter) but that's only a lack of understanding on your part.

I am, as those of you who have read my now defunct blog know, not the biggest booster of medical training but that doesn't mean I think that two years of superficial training and a little OJT is equivalent to eight years of the real thing.

I see your points, and I understand where you're coming from. I still think you have a superiority complex, although I appreciate the more respectful tone in your writing today.

Look, I don't mean to infer that PAs and Docs are equal across the board, and I thought that my writing up to this point had succinctly expressed that. However, I'm not completely speaking out of my arse. One of our PA mods runs an ER. It's a small ER, but he runs it. I consider myself to be a scientist who goes on facts, and that's a fact. You could run on until the heavens rain down, but the fact would remain that that's his situation. I realize that it's not the norm, but I also realize that the PA path holds different things for different people. Is his training as thorough as someone else's might be? That's debatable. But I think that your indirectly belittling someone who holds 20 years of paramedic experience before his over 10 years of EM experience shows me that you're highly defensive of your own education and experience. To a point rightly so. And while I can see how the additional training would be highly important to working in EM, still...there he is. And he obviously knows what he's doing.

I'm not trying to 'top' you, brother. No one here is trying to discredit the wisdom that you have thus far acquired. No one's trying to kick you out of your seat that you've worked so hard to have the right to sit in. Without MDs and DOs there would be no PAs. In fact, MDs were the ones who started the PA program. My curriculum is almost as much taught by MDs as PAs! Doctors are the ones with the 4 years plus, and without them our medical model as we know it would crumble. But the facts are facts and they remain, that the PA model is a diversely intertwined entity which the MD/DO model must now and does work with. And in that combination there is overlap and there is oftentimes experience (and granted, sometimes there isn't...as can even be the case with doctors, some are better than others). So while I'm not trying to battle your status as a king of a mountain, I am trying to open your eyes a little to the realities and possibilities. Maybe you've forgotten Blalock and Thomas, but I haven't.

Would I ever want to work with you? Probably not. Your attempts to showcase the intense didactic and clinical model of PA education as "superficial" and often quite substantial medical experience of applicants as "little" are nothing short of paltry. I've not had any rotations yet, but I do have experience working with Alzhemier's, pediatric ICU, geriatrics, EM, hospice and AIDS hospice. My EMT training and experience may mean nothing to you, but it meant a lot to a few patients along my path, I can tell you that much.

Someone here suggested that I'm going into the PA profession because I couldn't hack getting into medical school. That couldn't be further from the truth. I actually was accepted into medical school and at that point realized that I didn't want to be a doctor, I wanted to be a PA. I'd be in my later 40s by the time I graduated from med school, and while some might want that, I don't. I want to get to work practicing medicine, to the best of my abilities. And to tell you the truth, I'm okay with being the assistant. I'm okay with taking the 4s and 5s (and maybe some 3s). There are PAs who take the 1s and the 2s, such as the friend I have mentioned. But myself, I'm okay with what I want. And I'll search until I find a Doc and a practice that treats me with respect, and that is able to gain a mutual understanding with me about what we want to accomplish together.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you are arguing about a hypothetical "senior veteran attending" to begin with. How can you insult someone who doesn't actually exist?

Furthermore, in practice, what I've encountered is much less of a superiority complex on the part of MDs/medical students, and much more of an inferiority complex on the part of the midlevels and other non-physician clinicians that I have worked with, in both the clinical and non-clinical setting. It seems that many times when I work/speak with an NP, a PA, a PharmD candidate, or a nursing student, the minute they hear/see/read that I am a medical student, they feel the need to justify their career choice to me - without ANY prompting on my part. I don't understand why other practitioners feel the need to belittle *my* role or my future career plans just because they are different from their own. I'm getting tired of hearing comments like "I could have gone to medical school," "nurses have more clinical experience than doctors," "PAs do the same things that you do," "school is harder for me than it is for you," "we know more about X subject than you," etc., when all I did was introduce myself! I want to tell these people: I don't care how much better/harder/more rigorous/whatever your training is - why do you need my validation to make yourself feel better? I just want to be a doctor - leave me alone!

Finally, why is it such a big deal to state that PA training is not as the same as physician training, that PA school and medical school are not equivalent, that a practicing PA and practicing MD are not comparable? Why do you get up in arms when the length of time of both programs are contrasted? It should be obvious that becoming a PA is a shorter and less demanding route - this is one of the main reasons that people choose to pursue PA school over medical school in the first place! These students don't want to spend as much time in training, want to start working sooner - there's nothing wrong with that. How does stating this belittle your acheivement, or misrepresent your role in the hospital, or in the workforce in general?

There is a reason why medical school lasts 4 years, and why residency is another 3+ on top. There are no shortcuts!

I don't know how you get superiority complex out of what Panda Bear is saying. You started talking about PA's who are better than physicians, and he said that, although PA's are important, that's a ridiculous statement for you to make because the education is miles apart. And, he explained your PA running a code by saying codes are easy to handle, implying your example wasn't indicative of the PA's superiority over the attending physician, it was more so the attending having faith that his PA can handle a relatively simple situation. Would you prefer the attending run in and push the PA out of the way for everything, or would you prefer the attending have faith in his PA?

tncekm, it might feel 'easy' to quote someone and then segue way into what you want to say, but you're not using the quote in proper context. In that statement that you quoted, I was reminding PandaBear that my experience has nothing to do with it, we weren't discussing the differences between his and mine education, we were discussing the veteran senior attending. Further, nowhere did I say that PAs are better than physicians or talk about codes, please correct me if I'm wrong. Someone else may have said those things, I didn't.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you are arguing about a hypothetical "senior veteran attending" to begin with. How can you insult someone who doesn't actually exist?

Furthermore, in practice, what I've encountered is much less of a superiority complex on the part of MDs/medical students, and much more of an inferiority complex on the part of the midlevels and other non-physician clinicians that I have worked with, in both the clinical and non-clinical setting. It seems that many times when I work/speak with an NP, a PA, a PharmD candidate, or a nursing student, the minute they hear/see/read that I am a medical student, they feel the need to justify their career choice to me - without ANY prompting on my part. I don't understand why other practitioners feel the need to belittle *my* role or my future career plans just because they are different from their own. I'm getting tired of hearing comments like "I could have gone to medical school," "nurses have more clinical experience than doctors," "PAs do the same things that you do," "school is harder for me than it is for you," "we know more about X subject than you," etc., when all I did was introduce myself! I want to tell these people: I don't care how much better/harder/more rigorous/whatever your training is - why do you need my validation to make yourself feel better? I just want to be a doctor - leave me alone!

Finally, why is it such a big deal to state that PA training is not as the same as physician training, that PA school and medical school are not equivalent, that a practicing PA and practicing MD are not comparable? Why do you get up in arms when the length of time of both programs are contrasted? It should be obvious that becoming a PA is a shorter and less demanding route - this is one of the main reasons that people choose to pursue PA school over medical school in the first place! These students don't want to spend as much time in training, want to start working sooner - there's nothing wrong with that. How does stating this belittle your acheivement, or misrepresent your role in the hospital, or in the workforce in general?

There is a reason why medical school lasts 4 years, and why residency is another 3+ on top. There are no shortcuts!

I very much agree, for the most part. We weren't speaking of a hypothetical attending, he or she was real (supposedly). We were speaking hypothetically of the relationship between he or she and the PAs they were conferring with. Be careful not to lose sight of details. And I'm not up in arms when lengths of time of both programs are contrasted, not at all. I'll leave the rest to my reply to PandaBear, so please see above. I will say that I think that's funny, about how some people feel the need to justify and start rambling on about their insecurities. Being a Psych major from my undergrad, I always find things like that to be interesting. I bet you'll do well on your Psych rotation!

Last edited:
Agreed, for the most part. We weren't speaking of a hypothetical attending, he was real. We were speaking hypothetically of the relationship between he and the PAs he was conferring with. Be careful not to lose sight of details. And I'm not up in arms when length of time of both programs are contrasted, not at all. I'll leave the rest to my reply to PandaBear, so please see above. I will say that I think that's funny, about how some people feel the need to justify and start rambling on about their insecurities. Being a Psych major from my undergrad, I always find things like that to be interesting. I bet you'll do well on your Psych rotation!

Sunfire. Take a minute to reflect on the context of your conversations. You are amongst premed, medical students, and physicians, talking about potential for or in fact medical careers.

You are grinding your axe here for little gain and in my opinion wasted effort. I am the axe grinding sort, so this post is sort of a wincing sympathetic one. It takes a tremendous amount of measured self-control to be a mid-level provider sandwiched in the middle of medical bureaucracy, in that sense you could say it's more difficult. I know it would be for me.

I am no Panda fan, of which you will see a nice long line of sycophant premeds in these parts. But the matter of fact confidence in his post should not be misread as a personal or professional attack. You are the only one who sees it as such.

tncekm, it might feel 'easy' to quote someone and then segue way into what you want to say, but you're not using the quote in proper context. In that statement that you quoted, I was reminding PandaBear that my experience has nothing to do with it, we weren't discussing the differences between his and mine education, we were discussing the veteran senior attending. Further, nowhere did I say that PAs are better than physicians or talked about codes, please correct me if I'm wrong. Someone else may have said those things, I didn't.
My apologies. I just realized I read a quote by Musashi that I attributed to you.

Nasrudin, hi, thanks for your thoughts. I do respectfully disagree with you on the matter of PandaBears initial presentation. And while the conversation did obviously become sidetracked, do you really think all that was simply an 'axe-grind'? I'm glad that we got to get things out in the air and talk about them! I think that communication and discussion are vital in life, they help everyone to understand where the other(s) is/are coming from. I know I learned from others, and I hope some others got to learn from me. Knowledge is power, never fear it!

tncekm, I appreciate that acknowledgment, thank you. I see where those statements were made, and disagree completely that PAs would automatically know more than Docs of the same department, in most situations. That would be ridiculous. I think the observer probably got things a little mixed up.

Now it's time for me to get back to my anatomy studies. I've been getting ready for Advanced Anatomy all summer, and am now finishing up the nervous system. Cardiovascular is next and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Last edited:
...But I think that your indirectly belittling someone who holds 20 years of paramedic experience before his over 10 years of EM experience shows me that you're highly defensive of your own education and experience....

Nobody is belittling anybody. Listen, in my program we occasionally ride with the paramedics. When I am in a paramedic's rig he is the boss and I keep my mouth shut and let him do his paramedic thing because that's what he's good at. When a paramedic brings a patient into our trauma/critical care bay I listen to his presentation because that is also his thing and he has valuable information to impart after which he goes back to his rig and does some more of his thing. He can do this for twenty years and he will be an excellent paramedic and an asset to the fire department but I have yet to meet a seasoned paramedic/firefighter who thought he was a doctor or even remotely similar by virtue of being an excellent paramedic. For my part, I don't go around pretending to be a paramedic (which is a fairly cool job).

There is a little bit of over-lap between paramedics and Emergency Physicians at the front end of things but that's about it and twenty years of experience as a paramedic, while it would probably give you an edge as an Emergency Medicine resident, is not after two additional years of PA school the equivalent of four years of medical school and three or four years of a complete residency.

It's a question of the learning curve. You can get and EMT-B certificate in about three months in most states. You have a steep three month learning curve and then you kind of level off. Same with paramedics, PAs, and Emergency Physicians except that the various learning curves are longer, steeper, and level off at different altitudes. You speak of the intensity of PA training but medical school is no less intense and, when you combine it with residency the learning curve, even if it is the same "steepness" of a PA's, levels off later and higher.

I just want to say that it seems Panda MD is weaning himself from blogging via SDN : ) And it makes for great procrastination for the rest of us!

I do want the Bear Blog to come back on for a bit after you finish residency and start job hunting.....

Answer to the original question: I did not want to become a physician assistant was my answer to that question the one time that I was asked. I already had a doctorate in biochemistry/molecular biology and I wasn't interested in practice within the restraints of being a PA. Physician assistants are valuable members of the healthcare team (as are NPs, RNs etc) but I was interested in practicing medicine as a physician which is why I went to medical school.

In regards to the other issue of this thread: Call me a weak physician but I seek opinions/input of other experienced members of the healthcare team on a regular basis. In my opinion, it makes for good patient care. Another perspective, especially when that person is standing there and observing what you are observing is a good thing in many cases. Because I am an M.D. that does not mean that I can't learn something from anyone on the team or in the hospital for that matter.

When I was on my pediatric surgery rotation as an intern, one of the suture techs taught me loads of great techniques for keeping kids occupied that didn't involve paralyzing pharmaceuticals. I still use some of those techniques today.

I am no Panda fan, of which you will see a nice long line of sycophant premeds in these parts.

All bow to the great black and white beast.

Glad to see you back panda ... the pot needed some stirring.

To chime in ... as a paramedic myself, with 12+ years in EMS, its my opinion that experience means nothing once that patient gets pushed through the door into the ER. My paramedic cert and $1.25 will get me a coke from the hospital vending machine though.

Last edited:
Panda Bear, I just found out the details and need to correct myself. My EMT instructor was a paramedic of 27 years, I think that's where my brain scrambled. My PA friend in question was a medic for 10 years, and then has worked as an ED PA for 10 years, a good part of that with the large degree of autonomy that I mentioned previously. I would hope that any ER Doctor would highly value his opinion. I can't say that the PAs that we're discussing here were of his same experience, but who knows. It all seems to be subjective and relative on an individual basis.

njbmd, that's a great story. I hope to always remain as open, in my own path.

I think its very noble to ask someone else for advice. It may make you sound ignorant and weak, but in the job of helping people you can never be too correct. Though why he didn't get another suggestion from a fellow doctor is confusing. Either way, as a patient this wouldn't bother me.

ITo answer the OP's question: You could be a PA, but I think there's a certain type of person who wants to become a doctor. They're usually very strong-willed, dedicated individuals who like to be in control. And there's nothing wrong with that, as someone needs to be in control. The quest of becoming a doctor is not solely about helping others as there are many many easier routes to do that. And IMO, pPeople look at controlling individuals as a bad thing, but they all shut up when there's an emergency at hand. The controlling type is necessary in life, no matter how much people don't want to think it is.

He has a chip on his shoulder? Have you read the other posts in the thread? He's been nothing but polite. He's also correct.

Anybody can have a good idea about what to do with a patient. A lot of our medical decision making comes back to the particular patient. If the PA has spent ten minutes with the patient and the attending has just grabbed the chart, an attending with a difficult decision to make would be foolish not to consider asking the PA.

Not to mention the experience factor. And the talent factor, too, frankly. Some people are just better at this. Better instincts, better memories, better skills. Not all of those people went to medical school.

Both as a paramedic and as an MS-3, most of my attendings listen to my input, and many solicit my advice. Which is as it should be.

Both as a paramedic and as an MS-3, most of my attendings listen to my input, and many solicit my advice. Which is as it should be.

Quick poll: What's more amusing?

Sunfire equating experience with formal education?

or

QuikClot confusing "pimping" with "soliciting [his] advice"?

Quick poll: What's more amusing?

Sunfire equating experience with formal education?

or

QuikClot confusing "pimping" with "soliciting [his] advice"?

There's no comparison between experience and formal education. Experience wins every day, and twice on Sunday. Nice to have both, of course.

Which is sadder: that Tired is so insecure he needs to believe his credentials will make him the smartest person in the room, or the fact that he was so far from being a successful medical student that he can't even imagine one that contributes to the team?

There's no comparison between experience and formal education. Experience wins every day, and twice on Sunday. Nice to have both, of course.

Anyone can get experience killing people ... that certainly doesn't help. It takes both knowledge and experience to heal.

Which is sadder: that Tired is so insecure he needs to believe his credentials will make him the smartest person in the room, or the fact that he was so far from being a successful medical student that he can't even imagine one that contributes to the team?

You sure owned him with that one:

spock_slap.gif

Can't we all just get along???????????? How about leaving the personal stuff out of it and just try and help the OP with their question?

Nasrudin, hi, thanks for your thoughts. I do respectfully disagree with you on the matter of PandaBears initial presentation. And while the conversation did obviously become sidetracked, do you really think all that was simply an 'axe-grind'? I'm glad that we got to get things out in the air and talk about them! I think that communication and discussion are vital in life, they help everyone to understand where the other(s) is/are coming from. I know I learned from others, and I hope some others got to learn from me. Knowledge is power, never fear it!

Now it's time for me to get back to my anatomy studies. I've been getting ready for Advanced Anatomy all summer, and am now finishing up the nervous system. Cardiovascular is next and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

No perhaps not. It seems after njbmd bolstered your point of view, and after a second consideration, that maybe I mistook your jousts with Panda as something else. So that maybe your simply making a contrast between a dialogue and a monologue or conversation and a speech. Which I wholeheartedly agree with. I am always on intimate terms with the people in the hospital that the whitecoats don't even realize exist, like their just props or pieces of furniture. So I think I can dig what your saying.

However, if you come to this particular playground of hegemony and kick the biggest jock on the block in the shins I can't say your going to get a fair showing of support either. That's what I meant by wasting your effort. But to each his own, right.

So that you can expect a gold old fashioned British and therefore polite buggering with the back handed slap of phrases like "agitprop" or "august personage" while the audience applauds.

Cheers then homey. Good stuff, anyway, for not giving a ****.

He has a chip on his shoulder? Have you read the other posts in the thread? He's been nothing but polite. He's also correct.

Well, we'll disagree here. I'm certainly all for being open to input from various sources, but I still don't agree with the assertion that a PA and an MD are somehow equal in medical skill and knowledge, reducing the difference to nothing more than different initials behind one's name (which is how I read his assertion, but I'm perhaps wrong).

As for the politeness, I'm certainly cognisant of that and I try to be reasonably civil in my own discussions. I must agree with LadyWolverine, however, in that there does seem to be a tiresomely pervasive desire for people pursuing a mid-level certification to validate their decision with people pursuing/holding an MD, which smacks strongly of a strange (and entirely unjustified) inferiority complex. Just as I noted above in the Community College vs. Four-Year University situation, I totally understand that many people can find a valuable role by taking a less demanding and shorter path; I just don't want to hear how you rejected my path and what a smart decision it was. I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.