When asked why not PA, how did you answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what specialty can a doc work in that a pa can't?
I can't think of any....and the pa can change specialties as often as they like without having to repeat a residency...try going from plastic surgery to pediatrics as a doc...not easy.....
what specialty did you have in mind that's not on this list:
In its 2007 census report, the AAPA reported mean total income (MTI) from primary employer for clinically practicing PAs working at least 32 hours per week. ADVANCE compiled this chart using data from AAPA's individual specialty reports.

Sorry, I knew there were some, but not that many. However, honestly the idea of switching from one specialty to another without retraining highlights the limitations of being a PA more than the opportunities. I wouldn't want a neurosurgery PA who just transfered from pediatrics, nor would I want to be that PA because if it's that simple to switch, it sort of implies that your contributions are limited.

Note: I will not be getting sucked into the "who's better" or "is PA a respected field" debate. I think people make whatever choice is right for them in terms of priorities and talents; both MD/DO and PA are important pieces in the medical puzzle.

Members don't see this ad.

...what specialty can a doc work in that a pa can't?
I can't think of any....and the pa can change specialties as often as they like without having to repeat a residency...try going from plastic surgery to pediatrics as a doc...not easy.....

Well, isn't that the point? The training is not equivalent and the standards are different. Let's say I wanted to be a radiologist. Even if I could find a residency program that would take me it would still require five years of training (or four if I could get "credit" for three years of Emergency Medicine). The fact that I can currently read a lot of my own studies (xrays, CTs, MRIs) and am even pretty good with ultrasound does not make me a radiologist and I wouldn't bill myself as one or work as one even if I could.

Switching specialties as a PA is not the same as switching as an MD. PA training is all "On the Job" (mostly, anyways) while MD training is much more formal, structured, and lengthy. Naturally this is one of the benefits of being a PA over a doctor but it only shows that compared to a physician in any given specialty, the PA's knowledge is considerably less.

As for salaries, that's the other advantage of being a PA because those salaries you list ain't bad, especially for two years of training and not too much less than some of the lower-paying medical specialties.

As for salaries, that's the other advantage of being a PA because those salaries you list ain't bad, especially for two years of training and not too much less than some of the lower-paying medical specialties.

yah they make good money in terms of the investment they make. My dad told me PAs at his place make around 120K including benifits and everything.

how long is PA school anyway? and what is required of it? Do you guys think its a good idea to do PA work during your glide year? Im entering Sr yr in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Panda, not fair to say PA training is mostly "on the job". There are quite a few residency-trained PAs who have much expanded knowledge in their field because they have completed a structured academic advanced training for PAs. Yes, these are in general just a year, but they are a year of in-depth focused training that puts them light years ahead of other PAs going into that specialty (uro, ortho, gen surg, CT surg, OB/gyn etc.) Now I won't suggest that these residency-trained PAs know as much as the MD/DOs who supervise them, but they likely know more of their specialty than a generalist PA fresh out of training or even a seasoned practicing PA like me.
Just sayin'.
And PMP, your attitude stinks.

Well, isn't that the point? The training is not equivalent and the standards are different. Let's say I wanted to be a radiologist. Even if I could find a residency program that would take me it would still require five years of training (or four if I could get "credit" for three years of Emergency Medicine). The fact that I can currently read a lot of my own studies (xrays, CTs, MRIs) and am even pretty good with ultrasound does not make me a radiologist and I wouldn't bill myself as one or work as one even if I could.

Switching specialties as a PA is not the same as switching as an MD. PA training is all "On the Job" (mostly, anyways) while MD training is much more formal, structured, and lengthy. Naturally this is one of the benefits of being a PA over a doctor but it only shows that compared to a physician in any given specialty, the PA's knowledge is considerably less.

yah they make good money in terms of the investment they make. My dad told me PAs at his place make around 120K including benifits and everything.

how long is PA school anyway? and what is required of it?

My investment so far is 6 years of undergrad (double major, bio and psych), 2.5 years of grad ahead of me, 4000 patient care hours, and a lowly 190K in debt when it's all over. The money will be barely adequate in terms of the investment that I will have made.

PA school is typically 2 to 3 years, requiring most of the basic pre-med coursework, additionally including Anatomy (which is usually urged of MD/DO students to be taken at med schools), and in most cases sans Physics and the highest Maths. The first half rigorously covers didactic studies, the latter consists of clinical rotations, usually through ED, Family, Peds, Ob/Gyn, Surgery, Psych, and other various which can often be chosen by the student.

PMP's alright, she's just a spoiled little girl. One day she'll better understand life and people. Right now, she's holding her own. I doubt her parents would approve of her behavior here, but that's all part of growing up. She does need to work on her spelling and grammar, you'd think students would have that down by their senior year of undergrad...'benefits', not "benifits", sweetie.

Last edited:
Thread closed as it has become a discussion between two people who can continue with PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.