When can I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this question has already been asked. I am a freshman and I am more than likely going to be able graduate in three years instead of the traditional four. I plan to take them MCAT next summer. Is it possible for me to apply to med school during what will be my third and last year? For those who have been in my situation please feel free to let my know what happened. Any and all advice is greatly apprecciated.

Oh, I will have done more than enough voluntary/shadow/clinical experience stuff after this summer. Just in case someone was going to ask.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. Apply the summer before your third year. Get everything in early. Submit in June. Good luck, OP

sounds like a great accelerated timeline to me! Taking the MCAT a year before you apply is also a GREAT idea. I was so happy to take it over the summer and not have to think about classes at the same time.

It might help you keep your sanity to take a year off at some point. In all honesty, i'd recommend just slowing things down in college and taking 4 years, but if you don't want to (financial reasons, etc.), just because college is so much fun. Plus . . . you'll be missing out on your senior year (when you're finally over 21).

If you wanna rush right to med school though, it'll give you more of a chance to maybe take a year off to do some research during and still come out young.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually in your same boat. I am going to be a junior this fall, but I graduated from high school in May of 2006. My plan is to take the MCAT in May 2008 and submit my application in June of that year for matriculation in the fall of 2009. It sounds like you're right on track! If I don't get into med school the first time around, I plan to extend my graduation for a year and retake any classes I might need to or work on my EC's. Good luck, hope this helps.

Yep. Apply the summer before your third year. Get everything in early. Submit in June. Good luck, OP

Just so I understand completely, I can take the MCAT and apply all in the same summer? If that be the case I need to start working on my PS and other stuff.

Thanks Reaching Truth

yea dude, just apply when you feel youre ready. i am also a "freshmen" this year and will able to graduate in two years '08, but i am choosing to apply like a traditional student to perk up my application. unlike me, if you feel like you have a good shot at an early stage, you should go for it. i applaud you man and wish you the best of luck.

josh