When did you apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, when have the people whom have been accepted applied to medical school? Did you apply the first day the aamcas application was available or a few weeks later? Also, would you recommend that if GPA will increase due to spring semester by say (0.7-1.0) would you wait about a week or two after the aamcas application is available? Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I have, with a lot of luck, been accepted to 3 schools thus far and applied as early as I could. This year that meant a June 18th submission of complete AMCAS, and secondaries complete by September. Although I do not understand fully what you mean by your question, you can usually start work on the AMCAS app online sometime in April. Since you cannot submit it until June, this should be plenty of time to add spring grades and still submit it on the very first day possible. I would just suggest preparing and starting early and submitting by the end of June. That way you should also know your MCAT scores if you took them in April. Good luck!

i have also found that the early bird gets the worm, to some extent. i had the same schedule as dukebludevil01. i don't think that my application is viewed any differently than if they got it later, but it meant less nervousness for me (sort of). now, i have finished interviewing and can kick back. BUT, it doesn't really help with non-rolling schools. they don't tell you anything until late anyway. so basically, just get it done whenever you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get my AMCAS app in until 10/10, and it was verified by 11/10. I also got a lot of my secondaries in right under the wire. I've had a fair amount of success, but I wouldn't recommend this route. The thing is, if you are going to be taking the August MCAT, you don't want to submit too early. If you do, you'll have the added stress of filling out secondaries while you're trying to study for the MCAT.

This year because of the AMCAS disaster, I think that anyone who submitted between June 18th and July 31st all were in the first batch of secondaries sent out by the schools. I submitted on July 16th and received all of my secondaries in early to mid-August because most schools, even those that traditionally screen, were just sending out secondaries to those who had listed them on their AMCAS just to get the application ball rolling at their level. I had started my app on May 24th, soon after it was first released but was delayed by the server hangups. I definitely recommend this route if you can. However, I agree with Coalboy that if you are preparing for the August MCAT, don't try to do both concurrently. Yet, it is possible that if you have all of you materials together when the application first comes out (i.e. have transcripts, lists of EC's with summaries, essays written, etc.), then you can get your AMCAS done early.

FYI. I interviewed at two schools very early where I had gotten my application complete early (that means sending in the secondary because they weren't waiting for verification by AMCAS). I sat on two secondaries and haven't heard a peep from those schools. Lesson learned: get those secondaries in early!!

Hope this helps.

Well, all other things aside... I submitted June 26th this year, as opposed to August or September my previous two times. I was able to garner an acceptance and one waitlist out of three interviews. I took the April MCAT this time around as opposed to the August one prior times. I cannot stress enough that you do this: take the April MCAT, send in your app ASAP and your secondaries should leave your hands as soon as you get them.

Andrew

Taken the April MCAT might give you an advantage, but what you can do if wanting to take the August MCAY is trying to complete other parts of your application so the only thing med schools have to wait for is the MCAT results for August. Choosing this route means you might be a month or so behind with the interview process, but it's must better if you can score few points higher on the MCAT. Good luck!

I sent my amcas on july 28th. I also retook the mcat on august 18th. If you are retaking I think it's doable, however, I wouldn't have done that had I known that amcas would take until late november to send my scores out.

Even with secondaries complete, most schools will not consider you file until the official scores are in.

so... mcat first, then application. Hopefully I won't have to take my own advice next year ;)

You can only submit amcas beginning in June....by then your grades will be available...Good luck...