When did you know Derm was for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icecold

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Upon conception?

1st grade?

Pre-med?

MS1?

250+ Step 1?

MS3?

Feel free to elaborate about when you knew you were going "all in" on derm (borrowing a poker phrase).

Members don't see this ad.

For me it was pre-med. A Mohs surgeon I tagged along with a couple of times told me this:

"[Dermguy], you will never meet an unhappy Dermatologist. I have the best job in the world. If I could feed my family, I'd probably do this job for free because I like it so much. My patients bring me fruit from their trees in the backyard, and each weekend is a three-day weekend. If you can do it, you should do what I do."

That was all the convincing I took.

Members don't see this ad :)
January 20th, 2008 (I might be off by a day or two) is when I finally went all in on Dermatology. My research interests had much to do with this final decision. However, I must admit that I began considering the idea during Summer, 2007.

Decided to do derm when I realized that I only had once really good chance to match derm, as a fourth-year, and if I passed it up, that door would probably stay shut for the rest of my life.