When did you start prepping for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to when all of you started studying for the MCAT at any level...anyone start outrageously early, because I'm thinking about it...like maybe studying the general chem and bio stuff this summer (will be summer after my frosh year) since I'll have taken those sequences already....sound crazy? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say crazy but a bit premature i think...i studied with Kaplan for a month and did ok. Kaplan or PR will teach you everything you need to know...i hadn't even taken second semester physics or any pysiology or anatomy courses until studying for MCAT but picked it up in Kaplan....

Wow, I admire your ambition. I would try to get some organic and physics under your belt before you beging prepping. The sciences are intermingled on the MCAT. A passage (on the physical section) may have basic and organic chem, as well as some physics. Its hard to only pull out "chem" or "bio" Q's.

In retrospect, I consider all of undergrad to be MCAT prep (especially learning how to read technical passages). My serious studying was dedicated to learning the format of the test, not learning the test material.

Good luck,

Isid

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a Kaplan class that started in January - I took the MCAT in April. Now I teach for them, and most people who take the class take the 2nd semester one, but a few take the full year. I think it depends on your schedule, and if you'd rather study intermitently as you go, or concentrate/cram before the test.

I would wait till after you take organic chemistry. The reason why is that organic chemistry really helps you to understand general chemistry much better.

Ex: I remembered seeing a resonance question in Kaplan's prep material in the physical section... but resonance is covered in SO much more detail in organic (its usually just glanced over in general chem)

Originally posted by crystal18mc
Just curious as to when all of you started studying for the MCAT at any level...anyone start outrageously early, because I'm thinking about it...like maybe studying the general chem and bio stuff this summer (will be summer after my frosh year) since I'll have taken those sequences already....sound crazy? :)

I started two months before the test date and didn't waste my money on a review course. I bought only the Princeton, Columbia, and Betz books all for $100 and scored 11, 12, 11. Used the money that I had saved for a nice stereo.

I've seen people study for about 2-2.5 months-ish while doing Kaplan (although not going to the classes because they were useless--they just used the vast test library) and do really well.

Summer after frosh year is quite a bit early though. I'd get some orgo and physics under your belt, as someone else said.

-RA

Originally posted by isidella
My serious studying was dedicated to learning the format of the test, not learning the test material.

hmmm... format of the test? I think that's probably how some people master MCAT some people struggle... Mastering the format of the test surely should improve ur score a lot? What is ur stat for MCAT?

OSU sent out 50 acceptance letters today 10/16

Originally posted by quarterdime
OSU sent out 50 acceptance letters today 10/16

Dude...have you said that on enough threads yet? Are you padding or something? The rest of your comment on this thread was barely applicable...

Originally posted by Random Access
I've seen people study for about 2-2.5 months-ish while doing Kaplan (although not going to the classes because they were useless--they just used the vast test library) and do really well.

Summer after frosh year is quite a bit early though. I'd get some orgo and physics under your belt, as someone else said.

-RA

I agree. Too early. Who knows? O-chem could be his undoing and the MCAT would then be irrelevant. Better do other things like volunteering at a hospital just to see if medicine is a good career choice or other activities not necessarily related to medicine.

Originally posted by Random Access
Dude...have you said that on enough threads yet? Are you padding or something? The rest of your comment on this thread was barely applicable...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: my sentiments exactly