When did you start studying for the MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beamiestface

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did you start studying for the MCATs?

What kind of studying schedule do you reccomend for someone who will be taking orgo and physics junior year (ie will have a few weeks of orgo and physics left to go before taking the MCATs)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would honestly recommend you start studying right now and take it this august. But since you haven't taken orgo or physics maybe not...

I started studying Feb 10th my junior year for the April exam and I needed more time. You should sign up for the cousre now if you're gonna take one, and start reviewing the stuff you have taken already in school (gchem, bio, and get a practice verbal passage booklet). Then come mcat time you will be ready--and have time left over to learn the orgo and physics mcat stuff.

Other people take an mcat stretch course that starts in November and that seems to work well too. It all depends on your personal study methods.

I had my kaplan books in october but I never knew how much I needed to learn, so I stupidly let them sit in the box until my mcat class started in Feb. Bad idea! Go study now! :) It's hard to study while you're in school. Maybe you could make use of this summer. I took 3 classes my spring junior semester and I recommend it--4 classes and the mcats would have killed me.

Best of luck to you :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a sophomore this year, so I was talking about next year's MCATs. I'm not about to take them in a few weeks, don't worry. :)

I started 2 weeks before the exam.

...errr...

maybe that wasn't such a good idea though. I probably could have done better had I not done the infallible spicoli test taking strategy.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by spicoli:
•I started 2 weeks before the exam.•••••Oh yeah?! Well i started THE NIGHT BEFORE the exam. I knew i messed up the PS and only ended up with a 38. I knew the trek method would screw me over. --Trek

I took the April 2001 MCAT. I took it while taking Orgo II and Cell and Molecular Biology, and I did just fine. I enrolled in a Princeton Review course that started in early February. They reviewed all the courses that I had taken up to that point and so my memory was really refreshed. It turned out that I only actually studied two weeks before the exam, and I did just fine. Really, don't stress too much. If you did decent in your science classes during your undergrad, the MCAT won't be too bad. It's not the world's easiest exam, but it is manageable and can be taken with a difficult semester.
Cane

A friend of mine, who now is in this 2nd year at P&S, started to ease up on classes in his junior year and study like crazy for the MCATs. I remeber him doing pratice exam after pratice exam. He did both Kaplan and Princeton courses!
He only got 9's across the board!!!
He tried again the year after with less studying and got a WAY better score. I believe he scored 12 and up across. I will have to give him a call and find out exactly.
So I think that whole cram, cram, cram / study, study, study thing does not work!!!
Do not start too soon or too late. The perfect time to start will depend on you.
GOOD LUCK! :)