When do Adcoms start viewing your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that you can submit your application in the first week of June and it would probably take a week (at that time) to be verified. However, i've read that schools don't actually start viewing all the applications much later than that.

Does anyone actually know when schools start sending out secondaries? And when they start looking at the entire application (primary + secondary) from each applicant?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Most secondaries go out no earlier than July. A few schools that send secondaries to everyone do send them as soon as your AMCAS is submitted, though.

When you are complete (primary, secondary, LoR), schools will start looking at your application. The time frame for this is going to vary, but I know some people got interview invitations as early as late-July this year.

I think that the schools start getting AMCAS primaries around July 1 +/- 7 days. The secondaries go out, come back, and since this whole process went electronic, we usually start getting completed applicants by August 7 +/- 7 days. There may be some schools that do interviews in August but I seem to think that there are so many med school interviewers are on holiday during August that most interview seasons get started after Labor Day.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's really if you have all secondaries and EVERYTHING completed and verified by August 1st, you're still early...seeing is how applications are viewed during or after that time.

That's comforting to know :)

Being verified is only the first step.... you'd be behind >25% of the pool if you weren't verified until August 1. A few years ago I was told that my school received 25% of our total expected pool of primary applications on Day 1 (late June/early July).

This year I don't recall interviewing anyone with an August primary until early winter.

Being verified is only the first step.... you'd be behind >25% of the pool if you weren't verified until August 1. A few years ago I was told that my school received 25% of our total expected pool of primary applications on Day 1 (late June/early July).

This year I don't recall interviewing anyone with an August primary until early winter.

True. Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post. I meant that if your application is considered "complete" by whichever medical school you're applying to by August 1st, then you'd still be in say the first batch of applicants to be viewed.

Just the confirm: you're considered "complete" when the medical school has your primaries, MCAT score, and secondaries, correct?

True. Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post. I meant that if your application is considered "complete" by whichever medical school you're applying to by August 1st, then you'd still be in say the first batch of applicants to be viewed.

Just the confirm: you're considered "complete" when the medical school has your primaries, MCAT score, and secondaries, correct?

Correct, some schools did not accept LORs through AMCAS this past year, and those were also needed to be considered complete. But that's the basic idea.