when do fellowship programs start inviting people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you may know, cardiology this year will be the first year they do it as a third year match. From looking at the previous threads, looks like programs wait a month or two until they start inviting people! and not like residency inviting people right away...

Application starts July 15, I am not sure all my letters will be ready by then. Is it an issue if they take one week or two after July 15?

Members don't see this ad.

Each fellowship runs on a slightly different timeline, and I'm not sure what Cards and Heme/Onc's new timeline will be. That said, (I interviewed for Endo) I got all my interviews within a month of application--one as early as 7/16 (which was really weird cause it was a Sunday), then three the following week, then a period of silence before the rest came in the first week in August.

I'll leave it to the PDs and people actually involved with fellowship to say how important letters are in the process. I imagine if interviews don't go out right away, then having a letter or two missing on the first day is not a huge deal.

Will programs offer an interview to someone who has a completed application but is waiting for their third letter to be uploaded into ERAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @mvenus929 and @SurfingDoctor

Will programs offer an interview to someone who has a completed application but is waiting for their third letter to be uploaded into ERAS?

Does anyone have any inputs?especially if PD letter is in.. but application is missing one letter in the first few days, is that bad?

Thank you @mvenus929 and @SurfingDoctor

Does anyone have any inputs?especially if PD letter is in.. but application is missing one letter in the first few days, is that bad?
I can also tell you we've interviewed applicants with a variation of letters. This certainly isn't specific to Cardiology, but if everything seems on the up an up, I don't think the absence of a single letter makes the difference.

Each program has their own opinions though...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks @SurfingDoctor

What if my strongest letter is the absent one lol? do you advise that I should apply July 15 and then add the letter later (which would be around July 20), or should I wait till I have it?

Thanks so much for the help!

Thanks @SurfingDoctor

What if my strongest letter is the absent one lol? do you advise that I should apply July 15 and then add the letter later (which would be around July 20), or should I wait till I have it?

Thanks so much for the help!
I would apply. Usually you want to get your application in as soon as possible.