When do I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevbo7289

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It wasn't until my current semester (Junior year undergrad. spring 2010) that I decided that I definately want to go to dental school. I am doing research with my organic chem. professor this summer, working/observing in a dental office this summer, and taking my DATs in August. Everyone is saying to apply early. What it early? June, July, August Sept.? Also, can I apply anytime or do I need to have my DAT scores to apply (like can I apply with the grades I have in June, and then after I take my DAT in August, I would send those scores in...or should I take the DAT in August and then send my application after I get the DAT resutls) Any feedback helps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can actually submit the application (which opens up sometime between May 15th and June 1st) before you've taken the DAT. The DAT has actually nothing to do with the AADSAS application - the section where you write what DAT scores you got it actually optional. Once you've taken the DAT you will send your scores out ot the schools you want to send them to, and they'll be matched with your application and added to your file. This can take a few weeks, so you don't want to take the DAT's any later than August if you want to get in on the first batch of acceptances.

It wasn't until my current semester (Junior year undergrad. spring 2010) that I decided that I definately want to go to dental school. I am doing research with my organic chem. professor this summer, working/observing in a dental office this summer, and taking my DATs in August. Everyone is saying to apply early. What it early? June, July, August Sept.? Also, can I apply anytime or do I need to have my DAT scores to apply (like can I apply with the grades I have in June, and then after I take my DAT in August, I would send those scores in...or should I take the DAT in August and then send my application after I get the DAT resutls) Any feedback helps. Thanks!

Early is considered June. Really early is early June. You can send your application to schools without having taken the DAT, but they probably won't review it until they get your scores. There are a lot of things that need to be reported on the application. Research, volunteering, job shadowing, awards and recognitions, etc. I would suggest doing some job shadowing before you submit the application (earlier than this summer), as it doesn't look that good to have a dental applicant that has never shadowed a dentist.

Go to this website to start the application process, though I'm not sure when you can start updating information on the site.

https://portal.aadsasweb.org/applicants10/index.cgi?rm=status_decisions

Hope that helps.