When do interview seats run out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my AACOMAS early July, and it should be verified reasonably soon. I've been told that submitting the primary in July is considered early for DO schools.

But I am seeing the interview thread, and that people are starting to get invites left and right! If I complete my apps (secondary and letters) by the end of August/early September, will there still be plenty of spots left for me?

Btw, I have strong stats for DO schools: 3.6/3.3, 33 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Totes, plenty. A majority of the spots will still be there by December. Remember that they always over invite by like 4x and over accept by like 2x because they know people will end up choosing another school.

Reactions: 2 users
So I submitted my AACOMAS early July, and it should be verified reasonably soon. I've been told that submitting the primary in July is considered early for DO schools.

But I am seeing the interview thread, and that people are starting to get invites left and right! If I complete my apps (secondary and letters) by the end of August/early September, will there still be plenty of spots left for me?

Fight the neuroticism! It's ok, I can't look at that interview thread without having my BP increase. Interviews go on throughout the whole cycle and it's still very early. Remember that interview doesn't mean acceptance and acceptances do not necessarily mean filled-to-max since schools over accept knowing students will more than likely defer a school if they receive multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Totes, plenty. A majority of the spots will still be there by December. Remember that they always over invite by like 4x and over accept by like 2x because they know people will end up choosing another school.

Fight the neuroticism! It's ok, I can't look at that interview thread without having my BP increase. Interviews go on throughout the whole cycle and it's still very early. Remember that interview doesn't mean acceptance and acceptances do not necessarily mean filled-to-max since schools over accept knowing students will more than likely defer a school if they receive multiple acceptances.

Phew! Thanks for these answers you two. And OP's stats are very impressive as well.

Reactions: 1 users
My school interviews well into Mar/Apr, and sometimes even into June (although by then, it's mostly for a seat on the wait list).

There will be plenty of seats left even by Dec/Jan/

Feb? The schools can be more choosy.

Reactions: 1 users
My school interviews well into Mar/Apr, and sometimes even into June (although by then, it's mostly for a seat on the wait list).

There will be plenty of seats left even by Dec/Jan/

Feb? The schools can be more choosy.

This is good to know!

Here's hoping I start to get DO II in late September.

The reason I am ask this question is that the MD school I'll be interviewing at in September does not seem to ration seats at all. By December, that school will even explicitly tell interviewees that they are looking at waitlist positions. Basically, that school runs out of seats by December. So I have the same fear that DO schools might do the same. It's good to know that for the most part, it doesn't seem to be a problem.