when do LORs get sent in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stutz677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question, do letters of recommendation get sent it with your primary application on AMCAS or do you send them in later with the secondaries? Also, can you send in additional LORs later in the application process like in August? Thanks a lot for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

No need to bump after only an hour!

LORs submitted through AMCAS do no have to be in when you submit your primary application. You designate which schools receive which letter through AMCAS.

I suppose you could add more letters later, but schools may begin to evaluate your application if they your secondary and required letters and you're just submitting an extra one. If you're waiting on a required letter then your app can and will sit around until you have it in. Having all secondary materials completed by the end of July is a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do LORs usually get sent in to schools if they do not take part in the new AMCAS method of submitting letters?

Each school is different, but most asked me for LORs to be sent at roughly the same time as the secondaries. So have them ready by mid-summer.

Some want them earlier, and some will only want them if you get an interview. It can vary a bit.

I'm kind of confused about the whole submitting LOR thing. Can evaluators just submit one letter to AMCAS that can then be distributed to each school with the primary or do they need to submit letters to each school?

I'm kind of confused about the whole submitting LOR thing. Can evaluators just submit one letter to AMCAS that can then be distributed to each school with the primary or do they need to submit letters to each school?

For schools using AMCAS, they send just one copy to AMCAS who distributes them to each school using it. For the others, you would send them to each school when they ask for them, usually with the secondary. Those schools just won't mark you as complete until they get them. It helps if you have a letter forwarding service with your university that can send it to all of the schools requesting them through VirtualEvals, etc.

No need to bump after only an hour!

LORs submitted through AMCAS do no have to be in when you submit your primary application. You designate which schools receive which letter through AMCAS.

I suppose you could add more letters later, but schools may begin to evaluate your application if they your secondary and required letters and you're just submitting an extra one. If you're waiting on a required letter then your app can and will sit around until you have it in. Having all secondary materials completed by the end of July is a good thing.

Is this true? I can't find this info on the AMCAS website. So the letters have to be in when we submit our primary?

Is this true? I can't find this info on the AMCAS website. So the letters have to be in when we submit our primary?

I added 2 schools that required AMCAS letters after I had already submitted my primary application. I submitted the letters after it had been processed without any problems. I think they just send them to the schools once they've processed the letters (independently of the primary app)