when do non-rolling schools have their classes "filled" by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlw03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for the rolling schools, does anyone have any idea as to when schools aim to have filled their class by? by that i mean, around when have schools sent out at least as many acceptances as they have spots in their class? i realize for many schools this is just a starting point, since they end up taking 2 -2.5 times their class size, but i guess i'm just not seeing as many acceptances on that thread as i'd have expected by early december.

Members don't see this ad.

i was under the impression that non rolling schools admit a small number around jan/feb and then the bulk of them come in march...
so maybe after the christmas break you will start seeing some non rolling people post their acceptances.

sorry all... i meant to ask about the rolling-admissions schools. by when have the rolling admissions schools sent out admissions at least equal to their class size? on the same note, after that number has been reached, do the subsequent acceptances usually get done in chunks, or is it a one at a time thing?

for example, dartmouth last year accepted 3 times their class size. how do ya'll think this was done? is there a similar method for all schools, or does each have its own way of breaking the acceptances up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard rumors that Wake Forest is already filled up. I can't verify this. I hope it's not true since I applied there and haven't heard back yet.

hmm i think each school has their own way of going about their rolling admissions policies....

this goes for how many people they accept and in what way they will accept them. i dont know about dartmouth personally but like i know that MSU meets every week and makes decisions every week. they have a target number they want to reach and i think most of their acceptances come earlier rather than later because they start running out of slots as may comes along...

for the UCs...once they get started... i think they meet once a month and do the same thing.

maybe after their 3rd month of meetings?
its kinda of hard to imagine a school accepting a 100 kids the first month even if they got early interviews and liked something about them....so im guessing around the 3rd month.....

but regardless whenever you get the acceptance at least you know that are you in....doesnt matter how many more they take over their limit. everything works out in the end.

Isn't there a date around March when all schools have to send out enough acceptances to fill their class?

I heard March 15th. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Yeah based on the suggested rules by AAMC....March 15th is that date. However it is not written in stone. Another suggested rule of application procedure is that schools don't have deposits more than 100.00 and make them refundable until may 15th. But clearly some schools don't follow this 'rule/suggestion'...although most of them do.

Isn't it funny that our applicant responsibilities are more set in stone, while institutions can use their own discretion when setting policies....

It can all be very confusing.