When do people usually submit secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COMMANDER CLOWN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of the results using the search function only say "ASAP" or some variant of that. Do we have an idea of when people usually submit secondaries? I know we have a document floating around of when people submit primaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought generally 1-2 weeks is typical/reasonable?

Members don't see this ad :)
See, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Future posters, please try to avoid answers like these.
Okay, you have exactly 9.45 days to get them in, not including weekends and holidays.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay, you have exactly 9.45 days to get them in, not including weekends and holidays.

Read the OP. I didn't ask when I SHOULD submit them. I'm asking when people usually submit them. Don't respond if you haven't read the OP please, ty.

Read the OP. I didn't ask when I SHOULD submit them. I'm asking when people usually submit them. Don't respond if you haven't read the OP please, ty.
You submit them exactly when @gyngyn said to submit them...when you have completed them. Why would you submit them before they are fully completed? It's not rocket science. Work on them. When you are done with them, submit them.

Reactions: 1 users
You submit them exactly when @gyngyn said to submit them...when you have completed them. Why would you submit them before they are fully completed? It's not rocket science. Work on them. When you are done with them, submit them.

I'm not asking when I should submit them. I'm asking when other people usually submit them.

As an aside, is there a way to block someone from commenting on your thread?

All of the results using the search function only say "ASAP" or some variant of that. Do we have an idea of when people usually submit secondaries? I know we have a document floating around of when people submit primaries.
to answer you question, as far as I know, the data on this is not recorded or released, so there is no way to be sure of the average time between receiving and submitting.

Reactions: 1 user
to answer you question, as far as I know, the data on this is not recorded or released, so there is no way to be sure of the average time between recieving and submitting

Ok thanks, that's what I was asking. The other two posters in here should take reading comprehension notes from you lol.

I'm not asking when I should submit them. I'm asking when other people usually submit them.

Other people usually submit them as soon as they've thoughtfully completed them.

And you can sort of block me by hitting the ignore button - click my username and then Ignore should show up somewhere under and to the right of my profile pic. At least that's where it is on mobile.

Reactions: 1 users

There is no answer for this. Some people take 2 weeks, some take 4 weeks, some submit as soon as they receive them because they have been pre-writing them for the past 2 months.

I will not comment on a post from you in the future. And if you choose @gyngyn won't either...although you will be missing the advice of one of the greatest resources here on SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
And if you choose @gyngyn won't either...although you will be missing the advice of one of the greatest resources here on SDN.

His and your responses here say otherwise. Anyways, at least I won't have to see useless comments like yours again thanks to the ignore function lol. Peace kiddo.

His and your responses here say otherwise. Anyways, at least I won't have to see useless comments like yours again thanks to the ignore function lol. Peace kiddo.
nah dude, trust me, it was probably just a mistake, no need to block anyone - you will see more of gyngyn's advice for sure and it's usually good advice.

i see you joined saturday so just give SDN some time lol

Reactions: 1 user
Gyngyn serves on an adcom in addition to being a practicing physician, and frequently provides helpful advice (arguably with less sass than some or most of the other adcoms). If you do decide to keep him on ignore, you won't see him on your posts or in other threads.

Gyngyn did not answer your question, but his reasoning is probably that a) he assumed you asked a slightly different question because it's a common one among stressed-out premeds on this site and b) even if the data did exist to answer your actual question, it probably would only cause more stress in an already-stressful process without any benefit.

Just things to consider, but if users annoy you enough, then ignore away.

Reactions: 3 users
Reading comprehension is a good skill. However, so is not being rude to people, whether in real life or on the forums. Especially to a mod. How about you learn that?

Reactions: 3 users
Gyngyn was actually right tho. People submit secondaries as soon as they've thoughtfully completed them. There's no average time of submission. I know of people who submitted some 3 and even 4 weeks after the "two week soft deadline" and they still got II's at those schools. It's more about the quality of your responses than it is about when you submit them.

However, for schools that are rolling, you should generally try and prioritize their secondaries and finish them as quick as you can WITHOUT sacrificing quality.

Gyngyn was actually right tho. People submit secondaries as soon as they've thoughtfully completed them. There's no average time of submission. I know of people who submitted some 3 and even 4 weeks after the "two week soft deadline" and they still got II's at those schools. It's more about the quality of your responses than it is about when you submit them.

However, for schools that are rolling, you should generally try and prioritize their secondaries and finish them as quick as you can WITHOUT sacrificing quality.
Could you please tell me the difference between rolling and non-rolling please? Thanks!

The two week rule is a myth propagated by paranoid and neurotic applicants on the forums. I know people who submitted their secondaries after a month from receiving them and still got interviews and acceptances at those schools. The idea is not to submit secondaries fast. It's to submit the secondaries that are well written and compelling.

Reactions: 8 users
Are you asking how long it usually takes someone to complete a secondary? Like how many days to return them? Or are you asking what the average complete date is, like how far into the cycle most people are returning the secondary and hitting Complete?