When do programs find out the results of the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently heard that programs find out the results of the match before we students do... which is why there are those "no contact" rules between PDs and applicants.

Can anyone corroborate this? And if it's true, does anyone know when the programs actually find out? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Boofus4L said:
I've recently heard that programs find out the results of the match before we students do... which is why there are those "no contact" rules between PDs and applicants.

Can anyone corroborate this? And if it's true, does anyone know when the programs actually find out? :D

My PD said that they find out the same time you do--he used to sweat it out just as much as the applicants did....

(They also find out the day ahead if they have any unfilled positions to offer in the scramble....)

Boofus4L said:

My understanding was that they find out the same day, but they may find out before the applicant depending on that applicants particular match day activities. I was under the impression that there was a no contact rule simply because the applicants may not know yet and you wouldn't want to inform them prematurely.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is exactly is the 'no contact' rule? Thanks. :confused:

delusion88 said:
What is exactly is the 'no contact' rule? Thanks. :confused:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html

NRMP said:
Note: Any contact between programs and unmatched applicants (or their designees) prior to 12:00 noon eastern time Tuesday, March 15, 2005 is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement. Contact between programs and matched applicants prior to the general announcement of 2005 Match results at 1:00 pm eastern time Thursday, March 17, 2005 also is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement.