When do programs start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinnameg

"the psych machine"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding start dates for psychiatry programs; most program websites with academic calendars only show when didactics start, usually the first week of July. But I got an email from one program saying they start in June, but not what day. Any ideas when programs start? Is this at all standardized? I'm doing a rotation right through the end of May and graduation isn't until June 6th so if a program starts the first or even the second week of June I am a little screwed . . .

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a hard time finding start dates for psychiatry programs; most program websites with academic calendars only show when didactics start, usually the first week of July. But I got an email from one program saying they start in June, but not what day. Any ideas when programs start? Is this at all standardized? I'm doing a rotation right through the end of May and graduation isn't until June 6th so if a program starts the first or even the second week of June I am a little screwed . . .

My understanding is that July 1st is the official start day for all programs. However, most programs have orientation the last week of June. It is very doubtful that any program would require you to be there early-mid June.

Best of luck with the Match!

It's not standardized, but most programs do not start the first week of June. If you are concerned about this, you should just call the program coordinators at your top 10 choices and ask about the exact starting date. Uncertainty solved.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. It would be very unusual for a program's orientation to start any earlier than June 15th. Even if the program you end up matching at does start earlier than that, they'd probably be willing to work with you.

Totally agree with this. I got married between graduation and internship, so knowing exact start dates was crucial. I called my top five programs, and the program coordinators were very understanding. That said, I don't remember hearing of any start dates before June 6th, and I think the second or third week of June was the norm.

It's not standardized, but most programs do not start the first week of June. If you are concerned about this, you should just call the program coordinators at your top 10 choices and ask about the exact starting date. Uncertainty solved.

-AT.

Thank you everyone! I may be moving across the country, which takes a week of just driving, not counting packing and unpacking, thus the anxiety.

we start in early-mid June.

3rd week of june is orientation. 4th week internship officially beings. We have something called 'intern week'. Finishing interns end the last week of june and have the week off. The rationale is that interns start under experienced seniors rather than fresh-out-of-intership ones.

This is Colorado btw.