When do residents get their contracts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThreadkillerMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior MS who has already matched into a surgical subspecialty. I want to buy a house, and have been "prequalified" for a mortgage loan, but in order to be fully approved, I must give the lender a copy of my fully executed contract. When do residents typically get their contracts? Do I have to wait until June or July, or can they be signed early?

Members don't see this ad.

I got mine about 2 weeks after residency match. I have not received my fellowship contract yet, but I did receive a letter of intent, which included my salary.

If you need a contract or letter, it is not unreasonable to contact your new department and ask for proof of income. Certainly they have had this request before.

The amount of time to send you contracts will vary widely; I think it was at least a month for residency and I can't recall when I got my fellowship contract.

As Tigger notes, you can always call the program coordinator and ask them to send a verification of employment - I had to have that when I started residency and it wasn't a problem. I'm sure they get the calls all the time.