When do you decide what schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nohika

lurker status
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I guess this is kind of presumptive, as I don't know if I'm completely pursuing it or not, but I was curious/wanted to know...do you/did you decide what schools to apply to before/while doing pre-requisites, or do you/did you decide when you're ready to apply? I was kind of figuring on making a list now and figuring out what I needed for each college and applying based on that, and possibly financial and the like - though I guess anywhere I go, vet-med's going to be expensive. Also...if you have the pre-reqs done, is it worth it to apply at the end/beginning of your junior year?

Thanks in advance! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Well as for the junior year thing, I'd say go for it if you can. I applied during my junior year and scored an interview, so it's definitely possible to get in (though I didn't).

As for what schools to apply to, basically I went with my in-state and then any other school I applied to was based solely on their OOS numbers accepted. If they didn't accept a decent number (IE more than 10), I didn't apply to them.

I didn't really worry about pre-requisites as my undergrad major, for all that I hated it, it did prepare me well class wise for the prerequisite requirements. I have pretty much all of them for every school except a cell biology course, but so far that's not been an issue. Only school (that I was interested in applying to) that that disqualified me from was Tennessee.

I can't say one way or the other about the junior year thing (I'm a non-trad myself), but as far as when to make your school list goes, I think it's best to plan ahead at least a bit. I'm applying next fall and I already have a very tentative list of schools to apply to: my state school, a couple others that take a decent chunk of the class from oos, and one dream school where my oos chances are on the low side but I think I'll have enough of a shot to make applying there worth it (if that makes any sense at all :laugh:).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply whenever you feel ready for it! If you have almost all of your pre-reqs done and feel you have a decent amount of experience, why not just go for it? Remember though that you'll need at least 3 LORs. At least one from a vet (though some require 2), one from a professor, and one other one (sometimes they do ask for another academic/advisor one). Now VMCAS (which is the application system you'll be using) will let you save your data from one year and use it again if you're not accepted the first time around.

It's very time consuming though... so if you feel like your application isn't strong enough, I personally feel like it's best to put all of your efforts into improving your candidacy for vet school rather than wasting it on applications. It's also rather expensive.

As for figuring out courses or schools first. I would start out with at least a vague sense of where you would like to apply because pre-reqs differ from school to school. You'll probably want to take at least the intro bio series, intro chem series, organic chem series, physics series, 2 semesters of english, genetics, and biochem. Those you'll most likely need. But if you knock all of those out before senior year, you could leave senior year to take all the extra courses that your schools would like you to have. (Or I guess if you're going to apply junior year, have the core courses done by sophomore year and leave junior year or at least the last semester to knock out the rest).

Of course, all of that confusion can be avoided if you pick at least a few schools that you KNOW you're going to apply to. Then you can just add more schools later that require the same pre-reqs you've already done (or maybe just one or two more that you're willing to take).

Thanks guys, for the answers! :love: (Okay, yes, I love the smilies.)

I'll go through the list that's somewhere on the site and pick out maybe 5-10 vet schools (in the US) and at least note their pre-reqs. I emailed an advisor who'll help set things up - I'll be taking most of the pre-reqs for WSU (I'm in Washington State) through a community college that has an agreement with WSUV, so I think I should be covered... I do plan to take biochem, genetics, and a bunch of animal science classes once I'm at a four-year college, though.

...course, this is if I do it. I'm just trying to be prepared either way. :rolleyes: It requires far more research on this end than the other.

Also, keep an eye on the pre-reqs...occasionally a school will drop or add one. once they are published for the year, they are good...but it would be annoying to prepare your schedule Y1 or Y2, then discover at the last minute of Y3 that you don't qualify for your top school.

Way back in UG (I am a non trad) I wrote out a list of all the courses required by all the schools (this was before there was such a convenient chart on the internet.) I then noted what the special requirements were for other schools (ie two schools required a communications class) and noted if I was really interested in applying there and how viable it was to get that course (nutrition was much more difficult to get then....online courses were incredibly rare.)

How rare is it to be granted an exception for a pre-req course?
I would imagine that it depends on the particular candidate and circumstances, but is it very rare?
I have not taken a statistics course per se, but biostats has been integrated into my graduate curriculum.

I would imagine that it depends on the particular candidate and circumstances, but is it very rare?
I have not taken a statistics course per se, but biostats has been integrated into my graduate curriculum.

I know that some schools will consider an exception is you send them a course syllabus/description and prove that you've covered what they want you to have covered. If they don't accept it, you don't have to have all of your pre-reqs finished when you apply...so you'd have time to take a stats course if you needed. Many schools want you to have completed them by the spring term prior to matriculation.
To the OP, I chose my schools based on OOS numbers!!!, tuition, and how many schools I could afford to apply to (keeping in mind how much $ interviews end up costing). and there were a few schools that I didn't apply to because when I tried to contact them (either by phone or email) they were really really rude to me...kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I think it would be pretty rare in that circumstance unless you could provide evidence of satisfactory knowledge of statistics (publications using statistics?) I know some schools will sub in..say biostatisitcs or engineering stats for general statistics.... but that is kind of like me argueing that I didn't need a year of intro bio because I did a year of bio research. It may have given me depth but lacked suitable bredth. However, the only way to find out is to contact the school...but my recommendation is getting approval/exception in writing.