When do you guys start studying for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joelgrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

When do you guys start studying for DAT?

I am a freshmen, and I go to CC for now.

I am going to transfer to University of Kentucky after getting my AS(Associate Science)

Should I start studying for DAT now?

I have not taken any science classes yet(Bio, Chem, Physics etc..)

Is there any math section in DAT like Calculus or trig?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be tested on
-General chemistry
-Organic chemistry
-Biology
-Math (Algebra, geometry, trig equations...nothing hard; no calc)
-Reading comp
-PAT

It really depends on you and how much you know.

I was always really strong in sciences. I took IB and AP science courses in high school. My IB biology in high school pretty much covered the DAT biology plus more. High school chemistry won't cut it, though, since most don't really teach organic chemistry.

I took accelerated chemistry (gen chem and ochem) during my freshman/sophomore year at my university. My accelerated classes cover what normally takes a year to cover in normal gchem classes in a semester and then we went into pchem mode for second semester (similar gist in ochem). I highly suggest that you at least have a solid background (university/college level) in gchem/ochem/bio or studying will be hell for you.

I wish I had taken my summer after sophomore year when gchem/ochem were still fresh and I had more time, but alas, I'm a junior on her winter break and cramming for DAT. The only perk to me taking it now is that I had an intense semester of biochemistry and genetics (never took intro to bio classes in univ because of my high school credits) so I can get lucky with some of the bio questions that I might have not covered while studying for the bio section but can derive an answer for because of my biochem and genetics class.

It really is up to you and how comfy you are with the subjects. But I'd highly suggest that if you're going to go straight into dentistry (i.e. applying after junior year) you take your DAT summer after sophomore year.

Dang... I am kinda scared now...

I don't have a strong science background that you mentioned above...

The only science class that I am taking is Anatomy this semester.

Should I purchase those DAT books(DAT destroyer or etc), and start studying now?

Actually I am a international student.

ugh... I don't know where to start really.

This is my second semester at my CC.

Man, I was thinking about taking DAT around at the end of my Junior year, but I guess by that time, it is gonna be too late.

and what is chemistry like? and Organic Chem?

I heard those two are really really hard.

Is it more like math or like bio that requires memorize a lot of stuff?

Thanks for your wonderful help.

God bless you!

When you see stuff on here, also keep in mind that the type of people who come on here are also really high achievers and not the "normal" applicant. So don't be scared about things! The best thing to do is to take the advice and study study and you'll get in somewhere =D

So, I'm confused on your status about undergrad education...

You're going to attend CC for how many years (?) then you are transferring to University of Kentucky and taking another 4 years? And applying while you're a junior in Kentucky?

Anatomy (if it covers physiology) will definitely help you so keep taking that!

As for gen chem, it's a lot of concepts you have to grasp whereas ochem it's a lot of mechanisms that you have to memorize. Biology is just like someone ingested half of the science world and spit it back out. It's such a large topic and the questions are so random =/ I definitely think that it'll be worthwhile to take 2 semesters worth of introduction to biology then take the DAT right afterwards.

As for when to take it, a LOT of people also take it after their junior year during the summer. The problem with that is that if you're also applying for dental schools the summer after junior year and you screw up your DAT, you'll have to retake the DAT...and there is a 3 month? wait period from when you took your DAT 1 to when you can take your DAT 2. So you might end up having to apply with (1) bad DAT scores, (2) really super late, or (3) the summer after =/

Or you could do what I'm doing and take it during winter break...unfortunately I picked the shortest winter break that my school has ever given to take the test =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the confusion.

I am going to attend CC about 2 years to get my Associate Science degree

And after that, I am going to transfer to UK as a Junior.

Do you think that DAT prep books are going to be useful?

Thank you

Oh okayyy.

So one thing you have to watch out for is your CC credits for the pre reqs.
Some dental schools will take them. Some won't so make sure you check when you apply.
When you transfer, you need to step it up and take higher level classes and do well in them.

As for DAT prep books, the best thing for you to do is look through the forums on here. People have made extensive breakdown posts.

Overall, there isn't really a DAT study guide like MCAT has. The only real full prep book is Kaplan's Blue Book (also called Kaplan book, BB, blue book, etc.) Honestly, in my opinion, it's a good thing to read through to get the basics for the DAT. But you need to supplement it with other study materials because Kaplan is way too basic. If you walk into the testing room with just Kaplan as your study guide, you're kind of screwed.

Generally, you want to suppliment your bio with Cliffnotes and the GC/OC with Chad's videos. Then practice practice practice with Crack the DAT, QVault, Achiever, Topscore...whatever you prefer.You should really go through this forum and look for "breakdown" posts because a lot of people will tell you what they scored on their real DAT/practice DAT tests/what they used to study.

I don't want to jump the gun and tell you myself because I do'nt know if my study method is great or not since I'm not going to actually take my DAT until Friday (EEK!)

No problem and thanks! If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try and help out the best I can =D Good luck with your dentistry journey. It's great that you're already getting an early start!

Sorry about the confusion.

I am going to attend CC about 2 years to get my Associate Science degree

And after that, I am going to transfer to UK as a Junior.

Do you think that DAT prep books are going to be useful?

Thank you

You are a bit confusing , get your facts in order then ask us pre professionals , please.