When do you just "get it"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedude98317

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scared S-less right now at the thought of starting residency in a few months....i've done all the motions of med school, passed all my exams did well on the boards including step 2cs....but you know what? I can honestly say I just don't get it yet. I still have this sense of anticipation when i see a patient, i don't have a sense of comfort whatsoever. I feel like when I start my internship I'm gonna get ripped on constantly and be asked repeatedly dude...did you even go to med school?

at what point in internship? or residency did it click for you? at about what point did you get this sense of comfort like hey i think i'm kinda getting the hang of this?

Members don't see this ad.

two months ago, 6 mo. into internship.

Adult educational theorists (who, in general I think are full of crap) will tell you that, as you go on in your intern year there will come a time of peak knowledge. The point at which you're really feeling it...kicking ass and taking names as it were. This usally happens sometime around months 7-10. You will then undergo a period where your confidence is shaken and you will feel that you've learned absolutely nothing during your intern year. You'll hit bottom around the last month or two of being an intern and this will last through your first month or two of your R2 year, at which point you'll get your mojo back and be on your way.

I feel like I hit that high point at the end of last month. I had 3 great weeks in the ICU and then, the last week, when I should have just been rockin' it I totally flailed. I questioned every decision I made and wondered if I had any idea what I was doing.

I'll be back on the wards next month so that will be my moment of truth.

The answer is that there's no real turning point. At some point you realize that you really do know what you're doing and if you don't, you are familiar enough w/ the resources at your disposal that you can figure it out.