When do you know you are ready to take boards?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BelaMedicine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
General boards are in two weeks and I haven’t been able to do nearly as much studying as I would have liked. I had some unexpected issues come up over the summer that delayed the start of my studying and I know I have not done nearly what others have done in terms of studying amount. The question is do I try to cram these last two weeks or give up and push it back another year? Any thoughts? If one takes it and doesn’t pass, what are the implications? And how do you really know when you have studied enough?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
General boards are in two weeks and I haven’t been able to do nearly as much studying as I would have liked. I had some unexpected issues come up over the summer that delayed the start of my studying and I know I have not done nearly what others have done in terms of studying amount. The question is do I try to cram these last two weeks or give up and push it back another year? Any thoughts? If one takes it and doesn’t pass, what are the implications? And how do you really know when you have studied enough?

Thanks
Unless your job requires you to pass it this year, the only implications of failing the exam are the crappy feeling you would get from failing (which you would get over) and the $2-3K you’d have to spend to take to again.

If it’s not too late to cancel and get most of your money back, and you really feel bad about your chances, then cancel and do it again next year.

If you’re going to be out the money anyway, and you think you’re on the bubble, might as well go for it. If nothing else, it will be a good (if expensive) learning experience.

If one fails is their prior program director notified? Does it go on any record? Also does anyone know typically what % accsap questions one should be getting correct to pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do the ACC in-training exams during fellowship? If so how’d you do on those? Supposedly those correlate with board passing, not sure of specific threshold but if you did well during training on those then you may be ok.

Did you take the echo boards?

I agree with the above though. If you truly feel that bad about the exam, can get some or most of your money back and your job doesn’t require it then might as well cancel it and do again next year.

Otherwise might as well give it a go.

No echo boards. But specifically wondering if one fails, does a notice get sent out to program? I would hate to risk my reputation.

Also any tips for high yield things to review in last week?

Honestly at this point, no one cares if you fail. Just take them again next year. The Ego and the wallet are the only things bruised. Life happens,

I work directly with my former Pd so I definitely care. Anyone know if they are notified in event of a non pass? If so I just won’t risk it and wait until next year

Your question wasn’t whether you care or not, of course you care. It was whether there were any implications. There aren’t. You take them again next year and fork over another $2400.Additionally, everyone knows who passes and fails by word of mouth let alone the statistics the program receives every year

Google and ABIM website are useful....
Exam Results and Program Director Reports | ABIM.org

Check that page, there’s also another page linked there about subspecialty programs. Basically sounds like you have option to withhold the score report from them. I think they still get a five year rolling report on pass rates and obviously would likely know that you withheld the score. Whether or not they still see whether you pass or not I’m not clear on. Could always just contact the ABIM directly.

Yikes thanks for the link.
I think my biggest issue right now is what do I need to do that is most high yield- especially with respect to day #2 which I haven’t done any studying for.
I have accsap - should I get another question bank and cram?

Google and ABIM website are useful....
Exam Results and Program Director Reports | ABIM.org

Check that page, there’s also another page linked there about subspecialty programs. Basically sounds like you have option to withhold the score report from them. I think they still get a five year rolling report on pass rates and obviously would likely know that you withheld the score. Whether or not they still see whether you pass or not I’m not clear on. Could always just contact the ABIM directly.

Almost certain the PD gets the score (at the very least a pass or fail) for every resident who graduated from the program and takes the ABIM.