When do you know you want to specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capitan2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a predental student applying for dental school to start next Fall 2013. I am a Texas resident, and I have my first interview with San Antonio this Monday, and Baylor on Aug 31. Still waiting to hear from Houston.

My question is, for those of you who are currently in dental school or have already graduated, when did you know that you want to specialize (or not specialize). This includes pediatrics, orthodontics, etc. At this point, I know I want to go to dental school and become a dentist, but I don't know if I would eventually want to specialize or just become a general dentist like I intend to. Is this something you eventually realize during dental school? I have been asked numerous times whether or not I want to specialize, I think to myself and realize that I do want to become a general dentist, but what if during dental school, I decide to specialize.

What was it like for you?

Members don't see this ad.

its more of a matter of: " when do you know IF you can specialize".

I would guess after you have finished your second year, you have a better idea where you stand in your class by that time.

In my first year, we had to do rotations in the specialties. I feel that gave me an idea on whether or not I wanted to specialize.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I am a predental student applying for dental school to start next Fall 2013. I am a Texas resident, and I have my first interview with San Antonio this Monday, and Baylor on Aug 31. Still waiting to hear from Houston.

My question is, for those of you who are currently in dental school or have already graduated, when did you know that you want to specialize (or not specialize). This includes pediatrics, orthodontics, etc. At this point, I know I want to go to dental school and become a dentist, but I don't know if I would eventually want to specialize or just become a general dentist like I intend to. Is this something you eventually realize during dental school? I have been asked numerous times whether or not I want to specialize, I think to myself and realize that I do want to become a general dentist, but what if during dental school, I decide to specialize.

What was it like for you?

go shadow private practice offices. thats the only way to know if they're doing what you want to the rest of your life. school and residency are wayyy different. you can shadow or assist in your school's specialty clinics for an idea of how the programs are run... but if you REALLY want to know... you have to see it in real time. ie: OMFS is NOT trauma all day everyday. and perio is NOT 10 wilkodontics cases a week.

You probably get a good idea somewhere in third year, but if you want a chance at one of the more competitive programs you're going to need start kicking butt in dental school on the first test of first year.

When you manage to finish your second-year of dental school at the top of your class (and do well on the boards to boot).

its more of a matter of: " when do you know IF you can specialize".

I would guess after you have finished your second year, you have a better idea where you stand in your class by that time.

The best practitioner will be one who shows passion for what he does and approached each class with the intention to understand and succeed.

For me, I knew I wanted to specialize as soon as I matriculated. The clinical experience only reinforced my objective interest. Some people find interest once they begin rounds, but the universal formula is to work hard the entire course of dental school to give you the opportunity to pursue something in the future.

Is it difficult to set yourself up to specialize in OMS? I think I want to do it but some times wonder if I have what it takes. I tend to feel that I'm pretty sharp compared to most students in my UG (I know that sounds bad) but worry that when I get to dental school I may be left in the dust with no where to go.

I'm also in the application process for HPSP if that makes any difference. I always planned on trying to do an Army OMS residency.

The best practitioner will be one who shows passion for what he does and approached each class with the intention to understand and succeed.

For me, I knew I wanted to specialize as soon as I matriculated. The clinical experience only reinforced my objective interest. Some people find interest once they begin rounds, but the universal formula is to work hard the entire course of dental school to give you the opportunity to pursue something in the future.

Dude. Just work really really hard and see where the cards fall. Realize that 90 percent of people don't make the cut to specialize(not that everyone wants to), so don't expect to find people patting you on the back and telling you that you can. Work as hard as you can and then after a semester or two you can see how you feel.

For now just relax.

Is it difficult to set yourself up to specialize in OMS? I think I want to do it but some times wonder if I have what it takes. I tend to feel that I'm pretty sharp compared to most students in my UG (I know that sounds bad) but worry that when I get to dental school I may be left in the dust with no where to go.

I'm also in the application process for HPSP if that makes any difference. I always planned on trying to do an Army OMS residency.

I have nothing against knowing you want to specialize prior to dental school, but I hope the students considering it are already accepted and planning the next couple years. It is difficult to set yourself up for OMS.

There's plenty of information on this forum but also within your school with mentors who can easily guide you if you show interest. Start there.

from what i can tell, trying to specialize is a lot of added pressure. just the thought of trying to maintain a rank in the top 5% would drive me crazy. you literally have to make A's on every single test because there are always a group of people that somehow pull off a 4.0 (or close to it) in dental school. at least this is how my class is. my gpa is 3.4-3.5 range and i'm nowhere near the top. if i could guess i'd say top 30-40%.

going in to dental school with the sole purpose of specializing is not a good idea. you'll likely be disappointed if B's start to show up on your transcript. but if you're able to pull of A's in everything, it makes sense to specialize and i'm sure you'll fit the mold. being an oral surgeon would be pretty sweet.

You don't need to be 90+ on boards and top 10 in your class to specialize. That's a common SDN myth perpetuated mostly by predents.

This is very true. Only ortho and OMS fall into those criteria and that's not to say there aren't exceptions. Perio, prosth, path, radio, public health etc are all specialties that by no means require 90+ boards and top 10%.

If you think you may want to specialize, just work hard from day one and keep your options open. As you make your way through dental school you'll get a better idea of what each specialty is all about, and where you stand in regards to pursuing a specialty (class rank, boards, etc.)

This is very true. Only ortho and OMS fall into those criteria and that's not to say there aren't exceptions. Perio, prosth, path, radio, public health etc are all specialties that by no means require 90+ boards and top 10%.

I've seen enough exceptions in ortho and OMFS to make me think it's not even a rule for those specialties.

Although, admittedly, in the exceptions I've seen, the applicant had one out of two - a killer rank or a killer board, just not necessarily both.

boards are pass/fail now. GG gunners.

honestly, just do your best in your classes in clinic and make some good connections. start day 1. this will help you no matter what area of dentistry you settle on.