Apr 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I wanted to get a start on filling out my profile on AMCAS for early decision applications for next year. The MCAT registration dates don't open until October and there is no option on the website for the next cycle applications. The options are for 2016, which I'm assuming is what people are currently applying for.

What kind of timeline should I try to follow? Seems like I'm jumping the gun by a few months since I can't even get started. Since the deadline is August 3rd, when should I shoot to have the MCAT taken and all of my info on AMCAS completed (to be safe)?

Lastly, does anyone know when the 2017 EDP applications will open?

I searched plenty of threads with the same questions, but I'd like some direct feedback.

Thanks!

NotAnotherPreMed

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2015
At the end of an Old Fishing Rod
Status
Medical Student
Erm so basically for EDP as well as regular applications, every year the AMCAS is open to fill around beginning of June with submissions possible from around the beginning of July. An early application is considered one submitted anytime in July (obviously earlier the better slightly). Don't know if exact dates for 2017 has been released but these approximates should be good enough for now. Maximum what you should do is start developing short blurbs about the activities you want to write about/ have ideas about what you want to write your personal statement about. The rest can wait.

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Erm so basically for EDP as well as regular applications, every year the AMCAS is open to fill around beginning of June with submissions possible from around the beginning of July. An early application is considered one submitted anytime in July (obviously earlier the better slightly). Don't know if exact dates for 2017 has been released but these approximates should be good enough for now. Maximum what you should do is start developing short blurbs about the activities you want to write about/ have ideas about what you want to write your personal statement about. The rest can wait.
Er, two corrections: AMCAS opens for editing in MAY and can be submitted the first week of JUNE. Submitting anytime in June is early, July is on-time, and August is late.

OP, the best you can do right now is to start brainstorming your personal statement and work/activities section.

I would take your MCAT no later than May. And have your application submitted sometime in June.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Er, two corrections: AMCAS opens for editing in MAY and can be submitted the first week of JUNE. Submitting anytime in June is early, July is on-time, and August is late.

OP, the best you can do right now is to start brainstorming your personal statement and work/activities section.

I would take your MCAT no later than May. And have your application submitted sometime in June.
And start looking to line up LOR

NotAnotherPreMed

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2015
At the end of an Old Fishing Rod
Status
Medical Student

Dammit I messed up my months. You're right!

Reactions: mcatjelly
OP
Medgrant
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Why do you suggest taking the MCAT no later than May? Is June too late for early decision?
I ask because I'll have a fairly heavy course load until around then, so I think the extra 2-3 weeks of free prep time would help me a lot since classes end at the mid/end of May.

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Why do you suggest taking the MCAT no later than May? Is June too late for early decision?
I ask because I'll have a fairly heavy course load until around then, so I think the extra 2-3 weeks of free prep time would help me a lot since classes end at the mid/end of May.
Well, you want to have above average stats for the one school you're applying EDP to. If you take the MCAT in June, you won't know your score until mid-late July, so you'll be applying before knowing your score. Highly, highly risky. You could wait to submit until you know your score, but then you're a month behind the most competitive applicant pool. Either way, if you don't get in, you can't submit your AMCAS to other schools until October 1st.

It would be beneficial to take your MCAT as early as possible.