When does AMCAS start accepting transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question - but do I need to go and register with AMCAS? When do we get notified that its okay to submit transcripts? and how does this dang process work?

"I haven't even started applying, and I'm tired already"

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, but I think aamc opens the AMCAS site on May 1, and allows you to submit June 1. I could be wrong tho

Basically, the day you're able to start filling out your online AMCAS application is the first day you can send out transcripts.

This is because when you start your application, there's a page on there that you can print out that you're supposed to give to your school's registrar. Your school then sends your transcript to AMCAS along with that page you printed out for them.

I would highly suggest you send out the transcripts the first day it's possible because that is really what can hold your application back. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander99 said:
Basically, the day you're able to start filling out your online AMCAS application is the first day you can send out transcripts.

This is because when you start your application, there's a page on there that you can print out that you're supposed to give to your school's registrar. Your school then sends your transcript to AMCAS along with that page you printed out for them.

I would highly suggest you send out the transcripts the first day it's possible because that is really what can hold your application back. Good luck.

If I submit the first day its possible, they probably won't know my grades for this semester. Is that a big deal to medical schools (my gpa won't really be affected by this semester's grades)?

Wait until you get this semester's grades before you request a transcript form the school where you are now. If you have gone anywhere else, then send those transcripts in once AMCAS opens for transcripts sometime in May. Then as soon as your new grades are posted, have your school send in yoru transcript. Will it put you behind....only a little. If you want the med schools to see your spring semester (they really should), then I would wait for those grades even though it won't affect your GPA, it gives the schools a chance to see how you have performed in school most recently.

Don't stress this early...... or you will drive yourself crazy. :scared: :eek:

An Yong said:
If I submit the first day its possible, they probably won't know my grades for this semester. Is that a big deal to medical schools (my gpa won't really be affected by this semester's grades)?

i would wait 1) if your grades are good this semester and 2) if any of the classes are premed requirements.

Alexander99 said:

1st, you shouldn't be sending out any transcripts. Your school(s) will send them directly to AMCAS.

2d, Don't send out the transcript requests (which Alexander99 mentioned) until such time that AMCAS will have your application before they get your transcripts. If the transcripts arrive first and there's nowhere to file them, maybe they won't get lost.

gaf said:
1st, you shouldn't be sending out any transcripts. Your school(s) will send them directly to AMCAS.

2d, Don't send out the transcript requests (which Alexander99 mentioned) until such time that AMCAS will have your application before they get your transcripts. If the transcripts arrive first and there's nowhere to file them, maybe they won't get lost.

NO, dead wrong here sorry. You should absolutely send them once they open for business. They will create files for all transcripts that start coming in in May. Yes some will get lost, but most won't.

Amy B said:
NO, dead wrong here sorry. You should absolutely send them once they open for business. They will create files for all transcripts that start coming in in May. Yes some will get lost, but most won't.

:thumbup: Definitely an important piece of advice. Send those transcripts in ASAP, even before your app is finished.

Amy B said:

Guess I got unlucky last year. :(

Thanks for advice pals

So - May 1 is like today, right? Is the AMCAS site open?