When Does Dental School Actually Start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdoodle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me when dental schools typically begin orientation/classes for the first year? I haven't taken biochem yet and a semester of it is required for a couple schools I've applied to, so I'm trying to figure out if I could get away with taking it during a June to mid-July summer session (5 weeks) before matriculating. Anyone know if it's possible and/or done this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on teh school. Some start in July not sure exactly which ones but there are a few that do. On most schools website you can see a calendar of events at the very least one from the year before and it would more than likely be comparable

I know some schools require prereqs to be completed by May of the year you will matriculate, so you will have to check with the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to finish all prerequisites at least before orientation. I know Maryland requires all prereqs to be finished by May. Umich and Columbia both require you finish before orientation (which is August 20 for both give or take a couple days)

Hope that helps! (I may be in the same boat)

we started aug 21st.

try to take it in the spring so you don't have any issues with schools that require the prereqs to be done by may.

BU starts the first week of August, but also has a program known as EXCEL which starts in July. EXCEL is a program desgined for students that want to come to Boston early, get to know the city (their home for the next 4 years), and to experience taking some dental courses so they know the courseload, and lecture time before actually starting dental school. It is voluntary and typically about 40 students from the class participate every year.

Reactions: 1 user