when does internship start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

housecat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to go away after graduation and come back June 4th. When does internship orientation usually start? I want to give myself at least a week to pack and go where I need to go and get settled before orientation starts. I will be doing residency in medicine. Need urgent replies so I can book my ticket ASAP.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The actual work of internship usually starts July 1. However, depending on your program, you may have up to 2 weeks before that for orientation and other activities. I would contact your program as soon as you find out where that will be to learn more.

Definitely depends on the program. We started on 6/25 and had 5d of orientation before that. Other progs at our institution started on 7/1 w/ only 1-2d of orientation before. A friend of mine @ Columbia had a week of orientation (half program/half institution) and then a free week when most of the other progs had already started before he actually began.

I would say that, depending on how far you're moving and how you're doing it, June 4 should be enough time. That said, we left NYC on 6/1, drove 3100 miles across the country in a 27 foot moving truck and arrived w/ a week before I had to start orientation. If you're moving via UPS and United Airlines you'll be fine w/ less time but don't underestimate the importance of time to get settled in a new place. If it had been possible, I would have liked an extra free week before I started but I already left just 4d after graduation (and the day after my family left town).