When does PGY-1 Surgery Residency Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Cash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings:

Trying to figure out when I can schedule to sit for USMLE Step 3 before the start of Residency. I am hoping some of you surgery residents on this dicussion board can post information about when you actually started your residency. Most places I hear it is July 1st for the official start. However, I'm assuming many programs want you in town early to get ACLS/ATLS certified, complete paper work, etc....

If some of you would post your experiences I'd greatly appreciate it.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad.

Any pros/cons to taking Step 3 early? I agree that we will all forget quite a bit of medicine as we chug along as surgical residents, so I can see it being a good idea to get it out of the way early. But, I heard that if you are licensed when you are a resident, and you get named in a suit, it will be "permanent." If you are not yet licensed, you may of course still be named in a suit, but not as a licensed doctor. Thus the suit will not be permanently associated with your license number. Any truth to this, or thoughts?

Bovie9:

Very interesting situtation you bring up there. Very scary to think of as we are all about to find out where we will be going for residency.

It is possible to sit for the USMLE Step 3 examination, pass the examination, yet NOT apply for licensure. Two states that allow this are California/Florida. If you apply to these states through the FSMB (Federation of State Medical Boards) you can sit for the exam, pass it, have it on your record that you've passed all 3 steps, yet are not required to apply to licensure. Then, you simply continue your residency as an un-licensed physician (yet having passed all 3 exams). When you are ready for licensure if you want to moonlight, or are ready to enter practice, simply apply to the state medical board where you want to practice, and you've got all three exams already passed.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

Members don't see this ad :)
Cash,
Dang, you're quite the go-getter. What's the rush??
Man

Many, if not most states require that you complete at least 6 months of internship, if not a full year, prior to sitting for Step 3.

That being said, I started around June 24th, but had orientation and all that junk for about 5 days before that.

It's nice to entertain the idea of taking step 3 early (though I've not heard of anyone taking it before starting internship), but you need to do a little research first. Many states will not allow you to take step 3 until after your intern year. Therefore, a little research (and I guess a little waiting until match day) is necessary to figure out whether your state allows this.

I hear everyone's concerns... here is the deal. Apply to California or Florida for USMLE Step 3 registration through the Federation of State Medical Boards website. Neither of these states requires internship or post-graduate training to sit for USMLE Step. In addition, neither of these states require you to apply for a medical license at the time of application for USMLE Step 3.

As far as waiting until match day to find out where you'll be doing residency, this isn't an issue if you're trying to sit for USMLE Step 3 before residency. You simply need a state medical board to sponsor you (Florida or California recommened for the above state reasons). Then you apply through FSMB designating either Florida or California. You get your scheduling permit, and then you call Prometric and take the exam in any state you want.

All of this was told to me by the USMLE Step 3 representative at FSMB via telephone today.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

There is a user on this board by the name of Tripod who sat for his/her USMLE Step 3 examination before beginning surgery residency.

For those interested....goto www.fsmb.org

Click on the hyperlink for USMLE Step 3 registration. From there, follow hyperlinks at the bottom of the web page until you see the state by state requirements to sit for Step 3.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

4) When should I request an application?

The completeness of your application and any accompanying documentation, along with the volume of application requests currently being processed, will determine how long it will take to process your application. Allow FSMB approximately 2-4 weeks processing time if submitting the paper application. If applying online, your application should be completed within 3-5 business days after receipt of the photo id/signature page (and any other required documents) that you will have to mail to FSMB after applying for Step 3 online. Your scheduling permit will be mailed within five business days after processing is complete.

6) Is postgraduate training required to sit Step 3?

Most states require that an individual have completed a portion of their postgraduate training prior to sitting for Step 3. However, the following states do not require postgraduate training to sit for Step 3:

Arkansas Louisiana*** New York Utah* Wyoming**
California Maryland*** North Carolina** Virginia
Connecticut Nebraska* South Dakota Washington Osteo
Florida Nevada Texas West Virginia

*valid, indefinite ECFMG certificate required for international medical graduates
**applies only to domestic medical graduates
***Training required at fourth attempt

7) How do I register for Step 3?

This will depend upon the medical licensing authority for which you are sitting the exam. Contact the Federation directly at (817) 868-4041 for specific information on how to register for the examination.

8) Will I be required to apply for a medical license when I apply to take Step 3?

The following licensing authorities require that you apply for licensure at the same time you are applying to take Step 3: Alabama, District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.

AGAIN. What's the RUSH?? Why in the world would you want to add Step 3 to the things to do between now and your first day of internship?? I know of 2 (smart) people that failed it in their second year of residency because they blew it off (thought it would be easy). Pretty bold, Cash...

Hi there,
When I started at UVA the starting date (on the wards) was 22 June. Most places have some kind of orientation for all housestaff (for us that was over two days around June 16th or so) plus a couple of days for ATLS/ACLS. (You should have your BCLS card in hand well before you report for your residency program.)

You could schedule Step III at almost anytime. Most programs will automatically give you these two days because they want folks to get this exam behind them. Most of the folks here just picked a couple of days after the new schedule was out and took the exam. The thing that holds most folks up is getting all of the paperwork done for the permanent liscence. Here in Virginia, you apply for Step III and your permanent liscence at the same time so there is some paperwork to fill out; send off and the like.

Take this exam as soon as possible and get it out of the way so you can concentrate on your surgery.

njbmd:cool:

boy, i feel like a laggard...i haven't even taken step 2 yet. does anyone know when is the absolute latest we can take it? if residency effectively starts early-mid june and it takes four weeks to get our score back, then i guess late may is as far as i can push it?

Not bold Astroman, simply feel it is a great opportunity especially since I'm in the middle of step 2 studies. If you had the opportunity to sit for the examination before starting residency why wouldn't you?

Yeah late May would probably be the latest to take it. However, you should be aware than anyone registering for the exam after June 2004 will be forced to take the CS (Standardized patient) portion of the examination also, regardless of what year you graduated in medical school.

My recommendation is schedule it sooner rather than later to avoid having to take that damn CS examination. Details about this policy can be found on the USMLE website.

Johnny Cash
The Man In Black

T minus 12 days to Match.

i thought we only had to take the CS if we hadn't done step 2 by that time? :confused:

Is orientation mandatory? I'm getting married in early June, and assumed I'd have plenty of time for a honeymoon and to get settled in my new place before residency, but it sounds like programs start really early! If I had to miss the beginning of orientation, would they kick me out of the program?

Originally posted by Amy
Is orientation mandatory? I'm getting married in early June, and assumed I'd have plenty of time for a honeymoon and to get settled in my new place before residency, but it sounds like programs start really early! If I had to miss the beginning of orientation, would they kick me out of the program?

Most of it unfortunately is. Besides ATLS and ACLS there will be orientation for all new residents regarding insurance, picture taking for IDs, etc. I highly doubt you will be "kicked out" for not showing up or being late, but you can expect LOTS of hassles.