when does residency actually start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOFOSHO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Orientation isn't unofficial. You'll be overwhelmed by the official-ness of it. :p And yes, orientation is usually 1 week (more or less), before the posted start date of residency. I believe my own residency orientation started June 20, and my first day as an intern was June 28. If you are back and settled in by June 12 you should be fine. If you are back and will still need to move and get your life together over the next couple of weeks, you may want to reconsider.

Reactions: 1 users
It really varies from program to program. When I graduated, my friends started anywhere from June 5 to one I know who started on July 1. The most common dates were the Monday 1 or 2 weeks before July 1, but there were outliers.

In my program, our interns start work on ~June 23, and orientation (which is absolutely required) on ~June 16. Our peds program starts orientation a week earlier, ~June 9.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that it varies. My TY orientation started June 13, but my advanced program's orientation (which was the same date for the vast majority of categorical residents as well) was June 26. I think a few surgical program started orientation a few days before that.

The odds are in favor that if you're back by June 12 you will be ok. But it's entirely possible that your program could start sooner.

You can always call programs and ask when their orientation typically starts--they might think it's a little weird to ask so early considering most interviews haven't been handed out, but if it's that important to you... Or just make sure you buy refundable tickets if you're flying somewhere.

Keep in mind many medical schools require you to be there for graduation--that was actually the limiting factor for how much vacation I was able to take. But I still managed to take a 5-week road trip before graduation :)

Bear in mind that orientation may not mean you haven't officially started working. On my first day of intern year orientation, in mid June, one resident was pulled aside and told that (surprise!) he was on overnight call that night and would not be going home at the end of the orientation day. So whatever you do, don't expect orientation to be something optional or prior to your work year. It might be when the fun starts.

Also keep in mind that a lot of required time sensitive and likely to get your ass kicked or fired for being late stuff starts happening right after match day but is at a peak cresecendo in the weeks leading up to June.

Some of it will require original signatures on original paper and urine/clinic appointments at facilities locayed nationwide, meaning yes, your program 8 sates away could require you to go somewhere in your state the month of May for a piss test.

You will need to be available at any time after the match by phone/email within 24 hrs of your program for the most part.

Any deviation from that above statement you will need to make very clear in advance of your vacation after match or else.

Just assume that you are owned by the program for any whims after match day.

Also keep in mind that a lot of required time sensitive and likely to get your ass kicked or fired for being late stuff starts happening right after match day but is at a peak cresecendo in the weeks leading up to June.

Some of it will require original signatures on original paper and urine/clinic appointments at facilities locayed nationwide, meaning yes, your program 8 sates away could require you to go somewhere in your state the month of May for a piss test.

You will need to be available at any time after the match by phone/email within 24 hrs of your program for the most part.

Any deviation from that above statement you will need to make very clear in advance of your vacation after match or else.

Just assume that you are owned by the program for any whims after match day.
Most programs will give you deadlines weeks and weeks in advance. Just fill out the paperwork as you get it. They know people are travelling in May/early June, and I've never seen it be much of an issue. The only thing I'd say is to *communicate* with your program leadership, and that you should make sure you are somewhere you can get emails. I was in Israel in June before I started residency, and when I scheduled the trip I shot an email to the PD and coordinator letting them know that from June X to June Y I'd be out of town. Before I left, I took care of the paperwork for the program and for the VA. Then, I just made sure I had access to data or wifi every couple days to keep an eye on my email... and the only thing that came up was the VA wanted me fingerprinted for the umpteenth time. I called over VoIP, arranged it for when I came back, no big deal. OTOH, if I had been on safari somewhere and hadn't checked my email for 2 weeks? Might have been an issue...

Reactions: 1 users