When does VMCAS go down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elefante7

UW Madison SVM c/o 2013!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Every time I see that warning to submit your application early, I get paranoid. So, I was wondering when has VMCAS gone down in the past and how long was it down for? Does it really just kind of die right before the deadline?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

judging by how slow it's launching this morning I'd say about now!

Just kidding- I don't actually know since I didn't apply last year...

But seriously, it's taking forever to get into the site right now...:annoyed:

I agree, today is the day. I've been trying to log into vmcas all morning and it either won't log me on or if it does I can't access anything. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
so, as far as last year goes...i didn't have any problems submitting my VMCAS, and i believe i did 2-3 weeks before the deadline. i'm more inclined to say 2 weeks because i remember i was a little annoyed that i hadn't done it sooner (original plan was before sept/beginning).

i wouldn't worry about it too much right now, though i would try to get it done about 2 weeks before the deadline just so you don't run into any problems.

VMCAS is only slow today becuase the host is having trouble with their ISP. It's not expected to be slow/down for very long... also, unlike prior years, the load issues won't be there!

I did it the day before the deadline last year. I definitely don't recommend trying that, but... it did work. Aim for a week in advance at the latest, but the sooner the better. As soon as you're sure that you've finished...

VMCAS is only slow today becuase the host is having trouble with their ISP. It's not expected to be slow/down for very long... also, unlike prior years, the load issues won't be there!

Thanks to VMCAS001 for the very helpful comment (hopefully you are actually affiliated!!) :laugh:

But seriously, it's a relief to know that the system will be working just fine and that there was an explanation for todays concerns.

Last year the week or two before the deadline was awful. It kept on crashing, wouldn't save properly, and wouldn't let people login. (Look back at last year's threads to see some freakouts) I only found SDN because I googled "VMCAS down" and the pre-vet board was one of the first things that came up.

For the love of god, get yours done as soon as you feel ready (which is ideally at least 2 weeks before the deadline). You will save youself from a series of mild-severe heart attacks.

The only way I could login at some points during the rush was at 2 AM pacific standard.

Also, check with your schools for paperwork deadlines if they have any. Some schools want the paperwork POSTMARKED by the date. Some schools want to HAVE the paperwork by the date. Don't let that one bite you in the butt. Especially with transcripts, you'll want to arrange for those to be printed now if you haven't yet because the office can print them v.e.r.y...s.l.o.w.l.y....

On a seperate note, the first week of vet school is feeling a little like the last week of the application process. Fast and somewhat confusing. But much more fun! So just think next year applications will be just a memory!

Last edited:
Hi Barnaby, yeah, believe it or not, I really am affiliated :) See post below for some additional information.

Hi Lailanni,

One of the major differences between last year and this year is that the application is being hosted at Liaison, the company that actually programmed VMCAS. Last year, (and prior years) the system was hosted on our servers in-house. As such, (and despite yesterday's outage) the system will NOT have load issues, and therefore will not choke at the last minute - when everyone is trying to finish up.

VMCAS001