When does your school start Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPEs)??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

when do you start your IPPEs??

• The FIRST SEMESTER of pharmacy school

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • The SECOND SEMESTER of pharmacy school

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • The SECOND YEAR (third semester) of pharmacy school

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

collegegirl247

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does youR (sorry for the typo in the title!!) school start its IPPEs??

Members don't see this ad.

the summer after the first year of school.

At the first semester of school which I think is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our class for Early Pharmacy Practice Experiences (I assume that IPPE is the same thing) occurs in the second semester of the first year. However, we only get one site visit in that class, which is kinda disappointing. I got accepted to Wingate over a year ago and the nice thing about their program was the breadth of their early practice program.

is it bad if your school does not do any rotations the first semester and waits til the second semester or second year?? Will this hurt you in the long run?

Our class for Early Pharmacy Practice Experiences (I assume that IPPE is the same thing) occurs in the second semester of the first year. However, we only get one site visit in that class, which is kinda disappointing. I got accepted to Wingate over a year ago and the nice thing about their program was the breadth of their early practice program.

yes- the first two years are IPPEs
3rd year= SALT (service and learning together)
4th = advanced practice pharmacy experience (APPEs)

Since the curriculum at my school has just the "basics" the first year like A & P, micro/immuno, biochem, etc. and therapeutics doesn't start until the second year, they start IPPE after the second year. If you don't know anything about the therapeutics surrounding at least some classes of drugs, how are you supposed to see if you can apply the knowledge in a real world situation?

I don't think it will hurt in the long run, but it depends on when a school starts teaching therapeutics.