When/How to apply for Derm Aways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromthetips

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on when to start applying for derm aways? Do they also use VSAS?

What's the deal with some "filling-up", I feel I read somewhere that applying late can result in fewer options. Would you say getting apps in the day an institution starts accepting ensures acceptance, or is it more competitive than that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any tips on when to start applying for derm aways? Do they also use VSAS?

What's the deal with some "filling-up", I feel I read somewhere that applying late can result in fewer options. Would you say getting apps in the day an institution starts accepting ensures acceptance, or is it more competitive than that?

Thanks!

dermatology residency directors keep track of all VSAS submissions. the early applicants match and the late ones are blacklisted for life. good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply and rotate widely so you can get interviews all over the country. Ideal would be 3 rotations: 1 each in West coast, midwest, and East coast. Apply right now.

I can't believe the balls of the medical students/re-applicants from my institution who only rotated in our major metropolitan area and/or the home program. Is staying in the city THAT important? You can come back! It's not worth the heartbreak of vying for the 1-2 spots reserved, and failing to match!

I just can't believe the "my city is best and I won't leave" attitude of some of the medical students. It's derm, folks. You get what you can get. It's not your choice.

The apply early and widely advice is certainly sound but do not despair if you are a little behind.

I didn't decide on dermatology until later in my 3rd year and was still able to scramble for an away spot (that I ultimately ended up loving and matching at)

Not the ideal way to do it but just to reassure others there is more than one way to skin a cat.

yeah, on VSAS it seems most places arent even accepting apps yet.