When is application considered complete/sent to schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurricaneuro

SUNY c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What constitutes a completed application on OptomCAS and will result in the applications being sent to the schools?

First, I know a complete application includes the filled out OptomCAS, LOR, and transcripts- but the site says they do not encourage you to wait for your letters to submit. So once your transcripts are in, will they mail your applications out?

Second, I thought schools could just go online and access your application but under the Status area on OptomCAS the status for my applications is "Not Mailed." So we have to wait for our applications to go snail mail to the programs too? Eep...

I feel like nobody is going to have a complete application until December. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

After all of your transcripts have arrived, it takes 4-6 weeks to calculate your GPA .Then once that is done, it takes 4-6 weeks to mail the application. That's already 3 months of waiting! Oy.

After all of your transcripts have arrived, it takes 4-6 weeks to calculate your GPA

6 weeks?!? Do they employ an army of 1st graders to do the math or what?

At least everyone applying this year will have to wait the same amount of time, although the wait must indeed, suck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess that is one advantage to the schools that have secondary applications...

They will know your GPA WAYYYYY before then...

Only thing they wont have is your transcript..

This is directly from optomcas website...

OptomCAS Processing Overview

OptomCAS will consider an application ready for verification once the following items are received:
  • Complete OptomCAS application
  • Official transcripts from every college and university attended
  • Correct OptomCAS application fee
OptomCAS will allow up to four letters of recommendation. The letters of recommendation are not required for verification and will be forwarded to the designated schools and colleges of optometry once they are received at OptomCAS.
Verification

Verification will begin once an application is deemed complete by OptomCAS. Verification includes checking the accuracy of the application materials, comparing original transcripts to the self-reported course information on the application, calculating 12 OptomCAS GPAs, and submitting the verified application file to the applicant’s designated schools and colleges. Processing may take up to 4-6 weeks once all required materials are received.
File Shipments to Schools and Colleges of Optometry

OptomCAS will begin to forward verified applications to schools and colleges of optometry in August 2009. OptomCAS will ship newly completed and revised application files to schools and colleges on at least a weekly basis during the cycle

So, it looks like it's 4-6 weeks for them to verify AND mail it, not 4-6 weeks for each. Otherwise, how could they say they will begin forwarding verified apps to schools in august, when cycle just began july 15?

Thanks-- I was looking for something like that. I could not find it anywhere!

Still seems like it is going to take forever...

For the money.. the GPA's should be calculated and application sent in no less than two weeks.. lol.

does the essay need to be completed for you to send your application in? or is it like the LOR's and you can send it in whenever?

The essay is part of the complete application. Once you create an account with Optomcas, they will show you the entire checklist of things that need to be completed before you can hit the submit button.

Only LOR's and OAT scores can be sent as they are received.

I agree, DawgOD. $400 bucks should get mine "express" calculated!

I'm thinking about rescheduling my OAT Test then...

I am scheduled to take it on aug. 11th... thats probably around the time all my transcripts will be received by Optomcas...

If they are going to take a full 4-6 weeks to even send out my application...

I can use those 4 weeks to study some more to try and get a better score on the OAT??

what do you all think?? good idea?

I think it takes 2+ weeks for the schools to get your official oat score report from prometric. They don't get them right away like you do. If you take the oat sept. 11 instead of aug 11, the schools won't get them until at least sept. 25.

And if I have taken it in April, there's nothing I need to do about my scores, right?

Update: I submitted my app on 7/20, and roughly 2 weeks later I got an email saying I had entered my credit hours wrong in the coursework section. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 2-3 weeks after I re-submitted...

awww.. that sux to hear..

they received one of my transcripts... they should have my other one by early next week....

and then I hope everything was entered correctly on my behalf.

Hello,

For those interested and constantly clicking on the "GPA" button...here is what it looks like when finished.

v4b5tf.jpg

My application status is still "Not Mailed", so I think the process now is just waiting for OptomCAS to start sending applications to schools! Best of luck to everybody and hope this satisfies a little of your curiosity! :)

Man, even though filling out the same information a million times was annoying, it seems like it's better than this. My advice for everyone applying now would be to double check with the schools to make sure they have received everything... I'm sure a brand new system will have some kinks.

Good luck to everyone! :xf:

Update: I submitted my app on 7/20, and roughly 2 weeks later I got an email saying I had entered my credit hours wrong in the coursework section. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 2-3 weeks after I re-submitted...

Hi hurricaneuro, if you don't mind me asking, what is the correct way to enter the credit hours? I've read that it is 3 credit hours for every 1 quarter unit, but I want to make sure before I submit my application. Thanks!