When is good to start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 1st year in college.
I believe I will take DAT as soon as I finish Organic Chemistry in 3rd year.
I took Chemistry in 1st year and plan to take BIO, Physics in 2nd year.

I told my orthodontist that I wanna become a dentist and I already bought Kaplan DAT blue book, and she was like "why so early?"

I remember high school freshmen students who study for their SAT, so I thought it would be better to start earlier, is it not?

one thing I am curious about is that who can possibly memorize all those formulas in Chemistry? My classes gave me the formulas for the test so I could do well and get A in both CHM111, CHM112 classes, but wow...no formulas given...I wonder how the heck I can get good grades, especially after taking CHM about 2~3 years before DAT, because I have a very short memory that I forget in 1 week :p

would someone give me an advice like how to study and when to study?
and what are the idle score of DAT and GPA?
is it true that they only look at your science GPA seperately?
is PAT really that hard as most people say? it just looks like an IQ test.

and for last, how do I apply for taking DAT? when I took SAT in high school, I applied through the mail and the career center in High School provided me a booklet that shows how to apply and how much it costs. After that, they sent me a mail showing that what date and which highschool I need to go to take SAT test. I wonder how to apply DAT test, and how much it costs. Is it true that it costs 150 dollars per school to send my score? or are first couple schools r free?

Members don't see this ad.

joonkimdds said:
I just finished my 1st year in college.
I believe I will take DAT as soon as I finish Organic Chemistry in 3rd year.
I took Chemistry in 1st year and plan to take BIO, Physics in 2nd year.

I told my orthodontist that I wanna become a dentist and I already bought Kaplan DAT blue book, and she was like "why so early?"

I remember high school freshmen students who study for their SAT, so I thought it would be better to start earlier, is it not?

one thing I am curious about is that who can possibly memorize all those formulas in Chemistry? My classes gave me the formulas for the test so I could do well and get A in both CHM111, CHM112 classes, but wow...no formulas given...I wonder how the heck I can get good grades, especially after taking CHM about 2~3 years before DAT, because I have a very short memory that I forget in 1 week :p

would someone give me an advice like how to study and when to study?
and what are the idle score of DAT and GPA?
is it true that they only look at your science GPA seperately?
is PAT really that hard as most people say? it just looks like an IQ test.

and for last, how do I apply for taking DAT? when I took SAT in high school, I applied through the mail and the career center in High School provided me a booklet that shows how to apply and how much it costs. After that, they sent me a mail showing that what date and which highschool I need to go to take SAT test. I wonder how to apply DAT test, and how much it costs. Is it true that it costs 150 dollars per school to send my score? or are first couple schools r free?

I would suggest that you take ochem next year instead of physics so if you wanted you could give your DAT multiple times as in your third year you will be cutting it close. On the real DAT you don’t have to know many formulas and the ones you do are very simple and outlined in the Kaplan DAT study guide. I would start studying right now if you have time as it can only help and for sure don’t leave it up to the last minute. the ideal application GPA would be a 4.0 an a DAT score of 30/30/30 but for us non-geniuses I guess a 3.5 GPA and around a 20 DAT will be more then enough to get you into school somewhere. There is a separate GPA calculation for the science courses. The pat is difficult but with practice everyone can do well and since you are starting to study at such an early stage you should be fine. DAT test applications are online at the ada.org website. The whole application process is going to be expensive. I think I have spent about $1000 at the moment and still have not sent in my school application fees yet.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore help.