when is it too late to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor PJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard to take it before oct 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor PJ said:
i heard to take it before oct 1st?

PJ, the way i see it, its too late to take the DAT after the deadline of the specific school(s) you are applying to. If you think its worth it to take the DAT in november then in October for example, because you know you will score "reasonably" higher; then I say go for it. D schools will take you in no matter what; as long as you are before the deadline; and as long as you prove to them you are fully capable of hadling the rigorous dental material they will be throwing at you for the next four years of the life you will be living there.

I truly wish you the best of luck.

phosphorylation said:
D schools will take you in no matter what; as long as you are before the deadline;

And therefore much of this question rests on the school's shoulders.

By now, many schools have interviews booked through October and well into November.

Schools won't consider a file complete until they receive the DAT score, which means typically they won't even review the file for an interview. Throw in the Thanksgiving holiday (where adcoms will take an entire week off) and the Christmas holiday (where adcoms will take 2 weeks off), and you're getting later and later into the application cycle.

I'm not saying it isn't okay to take the DAT in October, but I am saying that you should be well aware of the situation that you might be putting yourself into. And like the other poster said, the difference between a DAT of 18 in October and a DAT of 22 in October is a great one.