Technology When is the best time to get a PDA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anton Chigurh

stud muffin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on purchasing a Palm Centro before I start school this Fall, but wanted feedback first. The reason for this early purchase is that I know that I'll be busy once school starts, and I don't want to spend time on learning how to use the Palm right before the start of rotations. Is this a smart thing to do? This'll be my first time using a Palm.

Members don't see this ad.

go for it, you probably won't NEED it at all during your first 2 years but you'll know it inside and out by the time you hit the wards. warning... palm os is getting out dated and by the time you do hit the wards they should either have a new OS or perhaps you'll be interested in switching.

but since you're interested in the centro which really is probably around the price of a regular phone you'd get anyway go for it. put supermemo on it and start learning stuff, keep all your appointments in there, set up to dos, and get all your exams on your calendar. if you actually USE the thing it's worth it, if it's just going to be a phone with QWERTY then just get a phone.

Ya, uhh, it's waaaayy too early for you to purchase a PDA. Granted the industry hasn't really changed too drastically in the past, ohhhhhh 3 years or so... still, why not wait 2 more years to see what new devices or platforms come out (if any).

right before 3rd year is the optimal time

i got mine right after 2nd year ended (before boards studying started) because of a good promotion and in order to get all the necessary software loaded onto the device (all for free!) by library technicians