Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When it comes to GPA, how do adcoms distuingish what is a more difficult college

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Zona Pellucida, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have heard a few people say that if you go to a college that is known to be a bit tougher, they will understand for (slightly) lower grades in some subjects.

First of all, is this true?

Also, how do I find out if my college is viewed as slightly harder.

I go to a smaller private college and the class difficulties seems to be pretty much average in every department, except Chemistry (specifically General Chemistry).

General Chemistry is taught horribly (dumb new age teaching style they swear by) and is basically the "test" for all traditional pre-med students freshman year, and ultimately dropped half the population of my major. The averages on exams were around 42%. I was getting congratulated for getting 58%s ... awesome.

I ended up with a C first semester and a B second semester. I know this won't kill my chances at all as no one is perfect and it is my only C on the transcript but are adcoms already aware how EVERYONE hates these classes and they are abnormally difficult and an A is unheard of at my institution?

Or do I simply just let them know at the interview stage?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

adcoms will know of schools and perceived difficulty of the institution as a whole, but they arent going to konw (nor are they going to care) about the sh*tty gen chem teacher that made the class abnormally difficult. You aren't going to be able to use the "my school is difficult" excuse for a low GPA. But as you said, its just one course. Do well in your others and you'll be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Overall performance in undergraduate is one of the main criteria without regard specifically to institution. Would your General Chemistry have been "dumb" if you had earned a grade of "A"? Probably not; find a way to adjust to the course requirements or transfer.

4. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes. I don't understand why I paid for my professors to simply hand out a packet, put the class in groups of 4, and just sit in the front of the room doing nothing. We received ZERO lectures and we were expected to 'teach eachother' in an intro level course. Awesome.

That was freshman year. I am now a Junior and have never gotten a C again and have only improved. I'm not worried about this in the least, was just curious on how far adcoms look into this type of thing, so relax!

5. NeuroChaos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is an whole spectrum of difficult from easiet to imposilby hard..
    but I assume an A is an A, regardless of where you earned it. Yes, it might take a bit more effort to get that A at, lets say, an ivy leauge, as opposed to a small college. but your A's are an evidence of your work ethic at ur specifc school. I am sure not every one at "easy" schools gets 4.0s

6. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Your gpa and MCAT will be the major thing the adcom looks at. Which school gets less attention but it does get factored in a little bit. Adcoms go by reputation. Some small schools (and some larger ones) will describe the school in the committee letter and put the applicant's gpa in the context of the school's average gpa, average gpa among pre-meds or some other measure of that kind. Some schools even include class rank and total class size in the committee letter.

7. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are saying an "A" is unheard of? I don't believe that, but if I heard that about my Chem classes, I would have taken them somewhere else, even if at a CC during the summer...

So really, how many of your classmates made As? Bs?

Why didn't you make at least a B?

You should be aware that for the most part, med school requires "self" study - you learn the material on your own - at some schools, most students don't even attend the lectures.

8. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wish I could have taken it at a CC yet my college does not accept courses from other institutions if they are a part of your major.

A few people I knew got Bs that had AP Chemistry in high school.

First semester of college. Never have taken a Chemistry related course in my life (only did Physics in HS)

Thats fine, I will always attend lectures as what teachers SAY seems to stick in my mind well but I am fine teaching myself material like biology and micro and organic, but not things that are heavily math related as this is where I struggle, and apparently a lot of people struggle as so many people did horrible in my class.

Everything I answered above is irrelevant. I just ranted about my Gen Chem class as an example to set up my question.

Thanks for the responses!

9. hopefuldoc87

hopefuldoc87 Killer tofu
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you in medical school? Yes, I'm aware that alot of the studying is done on your own, but all the schools I interviewed at had good lecturers (according to the tour guides, at least). And even though some students don't attend the lectures, that's their own choice. It seems the OP just has a horrible professor in this "weed-out" class. Don't worry. Suck it up; it's just one course.

And DON'T take it at your CC. Horrible advice. It won't look good if your intro level Gen Chem class you took at the CC when you could easily have taken it as your 4-year institution. They will question it (my friend's have gotten it questioned on it at their interview - what are you going to say? it was harder at your school?)

10. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If as that other poster claims (I wasn't talking to you, DeNiro, so why so huffy?) it is unheard of or in other words impossible to make an A in Chem I and II at your 4 year, and in fact your best possible grade is a C, then I would definitely take the class somewhere else, even if it is at a CC, with the caveat that I would make an A...and no, I would not say I took it somewhere else because it was easier - I would say I took it elsewhere for financial or scheduling reasons...I would rather explain an A from a CC than a C at my pristine 4 year...

And take a look at the Stanford secondary thread - somebody just got accept to Stanford Med, and they took ALL of their science pre-reqs at a community college, not at their 4 year...the anti-CC fervor among pre-meds on SDN is hilarious...

11. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I know we don't always get along, but I love you for this.

12. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is your major? Chemistry? Why would you major in Chemistry or some other science having never even taken it in high school? Do you think that you have to be a science major to get into med school?

And as for the students in your class who made Bs, why would anybody who had AP Chemistry in high school need to take Chem 1? Something wrong there...

Sounds to me like you picked the wrong college to be a "pre-med" at...and you picked the wrong major, too...

Good luck.

13. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Great advice and that is EXACTLY what the course was. They NEEDED to weed people out because they did not have the seats in upper level courses. They EXPLICITLY told me this when I asked. I did suck it up, took the C and have improved every semester (3.5 --> 3.6 --> 3.7 --> 3.8 --> 3.9) so I am not too worried about it.

14. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am a Biology major. General Chemistry I and II as well as Organic I and II are REQUIRED for biology majors at my institution. Is this not normal?

And the part about AP Chemistry...

Students who took AP Chem and AP Bio BOTH needed to take the institutions Gen Bio and Gen Chem courses. They would accept the CREDIT for those AP courses but would NOT accept them as fulfilling the major requirement unless they were taken at the institution.

I'm beginning to think my college is different when I thought all of this was standard. Haha

15. 236116

yes.
    that's the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

16. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sounds like you are actually doing well at your college, but I seriously would not subject myself to a "weed out" class at any college. And your college sounds very "anal" about its class requirements - that is a red flag to me. I know tons of people at very prestigious schools and their AP credits were accepted so they were able to "leap frog" over the weed out classes, into the upper level sciences where As come more easily...

I recommend majoring in something you love AND can earn a high GPA, then taking the pre-reqs in a post bacc.

17. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Some schools have been known to steer/mislead people into these majors. I'm not saying that's what's occurred here (obviously, I can't--I'm not the op), but you should know that this happens all the time.

And for an even better barrel of fun, some schools are really picky about what AP credits they'll accept if they accept them at all...

Edit: Aaand, just for solidarity's sake, there was a physics prof at (one of) my schools whose exam average was around 12. Fun times, yeah?

18. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As a general rule, assume that all GPAs will be treated equally, and that any low grade in any low class is going to be noticed. Are some schools/majors harder than others? Yes, sorry, that's how it is.

There are occasional stories about schools that multiply your GPA by a factor of difficulty, but they are rarely substantiated, and it's highly unlikely that you'd find out if they considered your school to be very hard or not.

19. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, I'm not out to get in the middle of an argument but to the best of my understanding, some medical schools will be able to adjust for the difficulty of your school (and the applicants from your school), but I doubt that individual classes are considered.

(Also, as you're making your school list, don't apply to Cornell if you're planning on saying that bit about how annoying it is to have students teach each other. At least, think about your decision before you do, anyway.)

20. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have actually seen examples of law schools that do this, but the stories about med schools doing it are apocryphal...I can believe that med schools look at general ranges of grades from different schools, but I don't see how a system of multipliers could work and be meaningful...besides, the MCAT is the equalizer that will glare a hot light on a high GPA from an "easy" school if the MCAT is not commensurate, and vice versa...

21. JJMrK

JJMrK J to the J
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is at least one new thread on this topic every week. Try the search function.

22. 236116

i doubt that's anything but acrophycal fairy dust.

too many applicants, not enough time. numbers are numbers.

23. 236116

lmao... i swear i didn't see this post before replying.

24. TehDoc

TehDoc What a pain...
    2+ Year Member

Chances are if you don't know your school is notoriously hard, you won't get a break from the adcoms.

25. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm a kinesiology major and my major requires that you take two semesters of calculus, two semesters gen chem, two semesters ochem, two semesters physics, and two semesters of general bio. So in that regard, your school is not the only one. As well as intro to psych.

#25 RySerr21, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  26. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem
    2+ Year Member

Lizzy, if the school doesn't have a committee letter, do you think it would help to ask the dean to write a short letter (or disclose statistics) about your rank in the class? I think we need another thread to elucidate different properties of a committee letter.

27. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    If you have a pre-med advisor, you might ask if there is a system in place to inform med schools about your undergrad institution. If your school doesn't have a couple of boilerplate paragraphs, tell your pre-med advisor to get in touch with the pre-med office at Swarthmore. They do a good job with their letter and may be willing to offer some tips to a fellow advisor.

28. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem
    2+ Year Member

Excellent! Thank you very much.

29. HeatherMD

HeatherMD Queen of Passiveagressiva
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    The recent Maclean's issue ranked Canadian universities in a variety of categories, including entrance averages of highschool seniors and the "competitiveness" of the student body. Those are not categories in which I wish to brag about my institution's position. I think we also boast the highest drop-out rate and lowest degree completion stats in the country.

I would have felt very sorry for myself had I not seen these results coming..

Maybe if I apply to US med school's I'll include the data lol

30. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

That's not so bad! My school was the self-reported (by students) the least-studying campus in the United States. I'm still not sure who they surveyed, because that just didn't make any sense... at all.