Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DMU, Kirksville, and PCOM that I know of for sure.
I don't agree with your assertion that PCOM is like that. However, I am only a first year so I will step back and allow a upper classmen speak for PCOM.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
DMU, Kirksville, and PCOM that I know of for sure.
Nice post well said FND.
Please. What are you talking about, "many schools." You only know what goes on at 1 school, your own. And even then, I'm sure I can find colleages at your own school who would disagree with you all day long. At my school red flags are overemphasized, and OMM is repeatly described as an adjunct to comprehensive medical treatment.
Your post is completely biased. You can still correct it by re-labeling it "bad medicine" instead of "dangers of OMM."
DMU, Kirksville, and PCOM that I know of for sure.
Navy doc I gotta agree with you on that post.

I TEACH OMM at PCOM so I know for certain that you are incorrect here.
Looks like the guy who sits next to you in lecture got tired of you complaining and decided to throw you a bone to shut you up!
![]()
![]()
Agreed.
The original post is spun worse than a Fox News broadcast.
Your aversion to OMM is well documented here on SDN, but to make the connection that you tried to make is comical.
It will be your responsibility to help educate patients about a variety of therapies. I hope you never meet a patient in your career that agrees with your flawed logic...you will become intimately familiar with the legal system.
Anyone who claims Fox news is biased and that NBC, CBS, or ABC news are not is clearly unable to see the log in their own eye while attempting to remove the splinter from their neighbor's eye.
Do you think that if they stopped cranial, it would help legitimize more beneficial aspects of OMM?
I fear that if cranial is admited to be wrong, that as other OMM treatments aren't "fully proven by primary research," which means drug companies dont have an iterest in them, OMM will eventually disipate. I know certain aspects of OMM are beneficial, I benefit from them.
My question is this, how can dubious OMM procedures be erradicated while keeping the benefit of other OMM procedures from being shunned as well?
So of course you are not at all biased.
Not a matter of bias at all. You are incorrectly portraying the OMM Department at PCOM and I am simply telling you that whatever information you got was completely wrong. I dont think its appropriate for a second year student from another school to be bad mouthing a school that he has likely never stepped foot in, let alone begin to critique how a certain class is taught. I dont know where you get your information but it is certainly not from your own experiences. Bash OMM all you want, but when you come out and make comments about another school that are false then I will come back and point out where you are mistaken. So I dont consider it bias...I consider it assuring the public that you are misinformed.
Regarding my Fox News comment. I didnt feel it necessary to list every major network...I thought that the SDN community would be able to understand the joke as-is. For those of you who were unable to do so, I would like to make it clear that if you so choose you can substitute any major network in place of "Fox". 😉
1. I'm not a 2nd year, I'm a 3rd year.
2. The claim that I made about PCOM was from a conversation with several PCOM students at Navy OIS training last summer. All 4 of them agreed.
3. Please don't lecture me about being biased and then claim you have no bias when you teach in the OMM dept. I have no problem with your bias since it is obviously important to work in that department, but don't call the pot black when the kettle has the same complexion.
4. If I am misinformed on the topic, then several PCOM students are misinformed as well despite having stepped foot on PCOM's campus a time or two.
5. You never addressed why the connection I made was "comical" nor how my logic will result in my becoming acquainted with the legal system.
With the change in faculty, you may not see it as much, although it didn't really kick up for our classes until 2nd semester and into 2nd year.
Wait for all of Woolley's claims about Cranial's powers 2nd semester 2nd year.
Did you know you can stick pencils in the heads of dead babies after cutting their skull caps off and take pictures of it and compare it to other dead babies and show the pics in class and disturb 200 students? Woolley proved it.
I totally realize that it is bad doctoring. No one is arguing that. I also don't doubt the ability of an MD to miss an MI either.
What I have a problem with is the emphasis on OMM and musculoskeletal medicine to the point that some people (not all or even a majority) seem to think OMM and Musculoskeletal problems first in any and all areas.
If you like OMM and are good at it, I have no problem if you want to use it for your patients as long as you make sure there are no red flags or obvious more important problems than the T4 RlSl.
What I am getting at in the danger part of this thread is the danger of emphasizing OMM to the point that we create some docs who think OMM first and totally miss out on an MI or acute Appy. I would hope that any intelligent doc DO, MD, or chirporactor, even one who only does OMM, would recognize such a clear cut MI and know what to do.
Directly from the mp3, Wooley states at the very beginning of lecture:
"OMT decreases morbilidity and mortality which would make sense when we speak about sympathetics, parasympathetics, and lymphatics. PLEASE UNDERSTAND IF SOMEONE COMES IN WITH A HEART ATTACK, OMT WILL NOT SAVE THEIR LIVES. IT WILL BE ABLE TO ASSIST WITH CERTAIN THINGS TO HELP. IT IS NOT THE BE-ALL END-ALL. YOU MUST GO THROUGH THE BASIC STEPS OF TREATMENT AND OMT IS TO BE USED AS AN ADJUCT."
The very fact that a professor has to emphasize something that almost any allied health professional (plus quite a few intelligent lay people) could tell you to a class of second year medical students indicates that a problem exists.
Ever hear of logical fallacies? You just exemplified one.
5. You never addressed why the connection I made was "comical" nor how my logic will result in my becoming acquainted with the legal system.
The very fact that a professor has to emphasize something that almost any allied health professional (plus quite a few intelligent lay people) could tell you to a class of second year medical students indicates that a problem exists.
Furthermore, where is the data proving that OMT decreases morbidity and mortality in the post-MI setting? Another unsubstantianted claim, it would seem.

So we should make all posts as un-biased and as honest as CBS news then? Ask Dan Rather about the current president's military record.
Assuming that this is a sarcastic remark (and my apologies if it isn't), then I sincerely hope you're more informed (and more able to discern between fantasy and reality) about OMM in the statements you are making, than you are about world events.
You're about a year late into this conversation.
Wow, I see there must really be a lot of people posting on this site then, as it was in the upper half of the first page. Allow me to help out then:
<bump>
I'm more so referring to the particular quote you commented on, which was much earlier in the conversation.
Ah, didn't realize there was a statute of limitations on quotes here. My bad.
Legally, no. But you're much like Steve Buscemi's character in The Big Lebowski..........most people find it a little annoying to rehash something that's been covered once before.
Hmmm... and since everyone who visits this site and read this thread all started at exactly the same time, except me, obviously, and since people aren't capable of NOT clicking a topic that has a new post on it, this puts a pretty major annoyance factor out there for all those people. I apologize profusely for such an oversight on my part.
You're by far the most dense individual I've met on SDN. It's not the fact that you came into the conversation late.....that happens all the time. It's the fact that you commented on something that was a complete off shoot of an actual post that ultimately has nothing to do with this thread.
So yes, it is annoying when someone enters a conversation late and literally has nothing to add to the actual topic.
Since you don't seem to have the basic intelligence quotient necessary to understand sarcasm, let me put it to you more directly:
I don't really care that you don't like my posting about a quote that someone put up several months ago - whether it was off-topic or not. Go cry somewhere else. It's a forum, time has to jump weeks and months. Here's a link more your speed than a forum like this: http://disney.go.com/home/today/index.html , maybe you should go hang out there instead. I hear whining is ok there, btw.
Haha...trust me, I get the sarcasm. Fact of the matter is you're still more than a slight annoyance and you never really quite figured that out until I spelled it out for you. I won't even respond to the IQ remark. You're clearly far and above so many of us. Life up on a pedastel must be nice. It's just too bad that yours has such a faulty foundation. It's interesting that you provide me with a link to a disney forum and explain to me that it's "more my speed"......interesting considering that this entire conversation has fallen around your inability to get up to speed. I'm willing to bet that people within the disney forum at least think in a logical and reasonable manner. You continue to resort to sarcasm and disingenuousness, because it's really all you have.
Looking back, I've severely wasted my time, so I'll go ahead an officially stop posting any responses to you, because it's clearly futile. I'm sure you'll respond with some sort of short quip that provides you with the kind of self-satisifcation you crave, so enjoy that while it lasts.
Thank you for nothing.
Exactly!
In reply to danclear's post from last week, I am not opposed to people using OMM if that's their prerogative. I've tried it and had some success in alleviating back and neck pain temporarily. However, on the whole until it is proven to work and do everything that it is claimed to do, I am opposed to the unsubstantiated claims about it's abilities being on boards.
Much like doctors don't use prescription meds unless they have proven efficacy, I don't use and don't plan on using OMM until it is proven.
Any guesses as to what most docs would do if you suggested they prescribe a medication to their patients that had only anecdotal support?
I challenge you to try it on your patients. See if it helps them more than the current standard of care.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but then why do we not use bloodletting? Poultices of magic herbs? Because there is no evidence to support their use.
Does OMM work for musculoskeletal problems? Yes. Anything else? Questionable at best.....extremely unlikely, but I won't rule it out. Cranial? Well....
I agree with your point that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" but unless you could prove that cranial is causing harm, I don't see how that negates the point of the post you were replying to (and the point of many posts on this thread). If it's not doing harm and a D.O. wants to use it on their patients, thereby perhaps even doing their own personal research into it as well, why would that possibly be a problem? Especially in the case of patients who actively are seeking out this type of therapy because they KNOW it works for them.
Good enough for me....musculoskeletal problems are extremely common complaints of patients.....as for the rest that you feel is bs...forget it and concentrate on the msk stuff
So, when there is a lack of evidence to support cranial, you're still suggesting we give glorified scalp massages in hopes that the EBM subset will somehow crossover to the "OK, we'll go off of anecdote and speculation" way of thinking. The reverse logic you are using, by your own admission, is that doing something counter to the standard of care is fine, so long as it's always been done that way. Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but then why do we not use bloodletting? Poultices of magic herbs? Because there is no evidence to support their use. Does OMM work for musculoskeletal problems? Yes. Anything else? Questionable at best.....extremely unlikely, but I won't rule it out. Cranial? Well....read on.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence...it doesn't matter if you're trying to prove that there is really a creature called Bigfoot or trying to prove that you can feel pulsations through the skull and that somehow that pulsation can be modified and used to treat whatever ails the patient. Sadly, there's more evidence to support the existence of sasquatch than there is to prove that cranial is anything more than the lunatic rantings of a bunch of people who refuse to admit they have checked the basic scientific tenets of medicine at the door...Pardon me but that's not far the beliefs of those I would expect to hear say "The line for the grape Kool-aid forms to the left, ask for Jim."
Although you're right about willow bark containing salacylic acid, the source for the salacylic acid in aspirin was actually a plant called meadowseet (Spirea ulmaria) - hence the name: A for acetyl, spir from Spirea, in from ? ->AspirinHere's a quick one... willow bark, high in salacylic acid.
Good enough for me....musculoskeletal problems are extremely common complaints of patients.....as for the rest that you feel is bs...forget it and concentrate on the msk stuff
1. I am a third-year PCOM student with excellent attendance and no, I was never told to "try OMM as a first resort".
2. I know how to identify the red-flags of an MI and perform an appropriate work-up.
3. I have never used OMM in lieu of performing said work-up.
4. There is no relationship between treating patients with OMM appropriately and missing an MI.
5. Lot's of my patients have felt really great after an appropriate OMM treatment.
6. OMM is not the culprit here. Perhaps you should consider removing it from the title of this thread and reconsider your bias. End of story.
Siinew,
Are you a med student yet? I am just curious b/c it seems that the people who really defend cranial & other OMM practices w/ no basis in EBM, are those who haven't even begun to be instructed in the theory behind some of these ridiculous practices.
If you are a med student, then I applaud you for being able to stay naive & open to some of these goofy practices.
That is the most idiotic rationale I have heard in some time. Think of one work - "QUACK" - and then read your last paragraph again.
Peter Popoff has thousands of followers who "KNOW" his "Miracle Spring Water" works for them. The $28.30 that he charges for his miracle water is a fraction of what most QUACKS who practice cranial charge their patients. His water isn't doing people any harm either.
Here's a novel idea -
Since Peter Popoff's miracle water isn't doing any harm, it's relatively inexpensive, and there is loads of anecdotal evidence for it, why don't we include it in the OMM curriculum? Then we could include it on the boards, make it part of our literature, and provide it as a supplement to cranial therapy.
Bodymechanic;
I understand your enthusiasm and belief in OMM, I was of a similar mindset 3 months into my first year as well. When I got to 2nd year and started being told all the BS claims, especially in the Cranial dept, my mindset changed drastically.
Get back to me once you've been through the Cranial hokus-pokus and let me know if you still feel the same way.
No, I'm not and I acknowledge I am saying things without any experience.
No, I'm not and I acknowledge I am saying things without any experience. However, I was just jumping in on a general "philosophical" basis of the argument - which becomes, "what makes a good doctor?" I have had OMM used on myself, however, with great success (for two separate musculoskeletal issues), and have a huge decision looming ahead of me as to whether to pick DO or MD, as I've been accepted into both types of schools at this point. There are a lot of other things involved of course (mostly geographical location), but I've decided that if I do go the MD route, I will probably come back and learn OMM later. I will likely go into PM & R, although of course that could change.
Ok, now let's take your insistence on going to the ridiculous extreme to the other side. You become the type of doctor who is convinced your patient knows absolutely nothing about what's going on with their body. Regardless of what they tell you, you don't listen. In fact, you really don't even care. I mean, what's the point of taking a history? They might be lying and it's just subjective information anyway. The fact that they have migraines, let's say (just to pick an ailment) and OMM (cranial) makes it go away means absolutely nothing to you. You wave aside their statements and find some great muscle relaxants or whatever the agreed-upon approach by the AMA-Pharm incestuous collaboration (complete with lot's of data of course, which we know could never be skewed... such as Merck, et. al.) happens to be. Find that name-value pair, just like a computer, because we're all just machines with parts... sickness-cure. Doesn't work, go down to the next item on the bonified spreadsheet - just don't actually listen to your patient... that would be going out on a limb and <gasp> thinking for yourself.
Who's really the quack here in my equally extreme example as your holy water one?
But it's true, all my osteopathic experience is only as a patient (I do have, in my past, about 4k clinical hours experience as a specific type of Army medic that has to make critical decisions without any attending to back him up, though - but most of that is emergency medicine).
Please don't mistake my empirical observations of the benefits of OMM with a "belief" in anything. In my previous life I was a masssage therapist and have taken many CEUs in cranial, as well as visceral manipulation, and have found both modalities to be useful in certain circumstances. Personally, I think the proposed mechanisms of action for cranial make about as much sense as cold fusion, but I have observed and experienced some effects from cranial that were very interesting and appeared to be very therapeutic. Do the effects come from manipulating the PRM or merely from a parasympathetic response to touch? I have no idea. Can I prove they weren't placebo? No, and I'm OK with that. Personally, I think the placebo effect is way underappreciated in medicine.
I think your original post, although obviously intended to provoke a response, had a valid point. Now this thread is just some run of the mill OMM bashing. Too bad that some students end up so turned off on one particular aspect of OMM that they dismiss it entirely. Nobody says you have to embrace cranial, just regurgitate some info for a test and forget it if you so desire, then go use what works for you.
Nice answers NavyDoc. I notice you made sure to stay away from my actual points, since you have nothing to say on the matters.
I've noted in other threads where I've conversed with you, that I am not a med student at this time, but you evidently missed that while you were sounding out any multi-syllabic words.
Nonetheless, if you haven't started your 4th (let alone 3rd) year yet, which I don't think you have, based on the medical immaturity of many of your statements, then I probably have a hell of a lot more clinical experience than you.
Wait until you do your first rape kit on a hysterical teenage girl and then I challenge you to come back and read what you wrote regarding the whole issue (which you contributed nothing of substance to) around the Catholic hospital scenario. You ought to be ashamed, but I think you probably just said it for shock value, because I've nailed you on your ridiculous assertions on this board more than once now. The whole fact that there would have to BE a law telling doctors in a Catholic hospital to just do their job is actually pretty sickening to me, in fact.
Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any more ridiculous.....you post something like this.
You aren't making any sense. You are just rambling.
I suspect that you are right - I will only see patients like you for one visit - your next visit will be to a psychiatrist.
Nice answers NavyDoc. I notice you made sure to stay away from my actual points, since you have nothing to say on the matters.
I've noted in other threads where I've conversed with you, that I am not a med student at this time, but you evidently missed that while you were sounding out any multi-syllabic words.
Nonetheless, if you haven't started your 4th (let alone 3rd) year yet, which I don't think you have, based on the medical immaturity of many of your statements, then I probably have a hell of a lot more clinical experience than you.
Wait until you do your first rape kit on a hysterical teenage girl and then I challenge you to come back and read what you wrote regarding the whole issue (which you contributed nothing of substance to) around the Catholic hospital scenario. You ought to be ashamed, but I think you probably just said it for shock value, because I've nailed you on your ridiculous assertions on this board more than once now. The whole fact that there would have to BE a law telling doctors in a Catholic hospital to just do their job is actually pretty sickening to me, in fact.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.