When or where is a GRE appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijinxx7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the details of what's involved in taking a GRE?

As in, why one would take one over the MCAT or when POD schools would take it as an acceptance test, etc? and also if having a simple BSc allows you to?

I really have no idea about it..

Members don't see this ad.

The original thought behind the acceptance of the GRE (at least from a CPMS stand point) was the MCAT was offered twice a year. If a student that was looking at PT or PA or another health science that accepts the GRE, they did not have a chance to take the MCAT before the year was over. If the applicant was qualified in other areas , the pod school would deffer the requirement to take the MCAT.

If you look at most schools, it says they require the MCAT but will defer if necessary. The loop hole has been abused and with the changes to the MCAT will hopefully be closed.

hijinxx7 said:
Can someone please explain to me the details of what's involved in taking a GRE?

As in, why one would take one over the MCAT or when POD schools would take it as an acceptance test, etc? and also if having a simple BSc allows you to?

I really have no idea about it..

If you take yourself seriously it is never appropriate. I realize that is a blunt statement, but if you want to be a medical professional you should take the MCAT. Take the MCAT, get into a top school and you will be glad you didn't just eek by when you land a great residency.