When should I apply to Caribbean schools?

Started by jaykav07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jaykav07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking my MCAT in April, and want to try and get into a med school next semester. I was thinking of going to India but apparently you only get into internal medicine coming from there (at least you have a chance to do something else coming from the Caribbean). I'm confused to when I should apply, I didn't ask for letters of reccomendation yet since I didn't think I would need it, but Ross apparently asks for it. My GPA is 3.0 atm, maybe up to 3.2 by the end of the semester since I'm retaking 2 classes along with what I need to graduate.

Thx beforehand!

I dunno.. do you think I can get into a DO school with an amazing MCAT? Well I guess I would need to wait a semester to do that...
 
first look into other options like DO schools, there are a lot of brand new MD and DO schools opening up in the US every year and other schools are expanding their class size. So definitely look into that, a 3.2 and a solid MCAT might get you a DO spot, study hard rock the mcat and apply to a lot of places. the Carib isn't all that great either. don't worry about the time 1 year or a few months won't matter, neither will a few thousand dollars in the long run. so if you don't wan to wait out a year or a semester just apply to both Carib and DO schools at the same time.

Carib schools usually have 2 or 3 starting semesters a year, either aug and Jan or summer, fall, winter classes. you'll need to apply a maybe 3-4 months before, of course the earlier you apply the better, and if you apply too late they a lot of times they will just enroll you in the next semester if you're granted an admission.

I know med students who flew back to the US for med school interviews during the first semester of my med school, others who paid the $1000 deposit for a spot at SGU but later get off the wait list of US med schools and don't show up to the first day of class.