When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm in the midst of studying for the DATs. My question is that I know the applications open sometime around June(not sure exactly when) but is there anything I can do now to make that process go faster so I can apply as early as possible ie fill out some forms etc? Also do I need to take the Dats before the apps open or can I take them afterwards and have it not be detrimental to me during the application process. My last question is on committee. My university has a med-committee where I guess they rate you as a student and what not. Is it worth applying through committee?

Members don't see this ad.

the application opens June 4th. You can't fill out anything until then. What you can do is take the DAT get your transcripts, and get your LoR ready

Thanks for the reply. Could I still apply and then take the DATs afterwards? Or do schools need everything at once?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I'm in the midst of studying for the DATs. My question is that I know the applications open sometime around June(not sure exactly when) but is there anything I can do now to make that process go faster so I can apply as early as possible ie fill out some forms etc? Also do I need to take the Dats before the apps open or can I take them afterwards and have it not be detrimental to me during the application process. My last question is on committee. My university has a med-committee where I guess they rate you as a student and what not. Is it worth applying through committee?

Go to the following website and read the FAQ, I believe that you need to use a committee if your school has one. I'm not 100% sure on that. https://portal.aadsasweb.org/

If you dont use a committee then you can get your LORs ready. A service called Interfolio.com can store them for you and when the applicant cycle opens up, you forward the letters from Interfolio to AADSAS. I used this and recommend it because you can get letters from your profs as early as today. You also save time since most profs are on summer break and might not be teaching summer classes, hence you dont have to worry about chasing them down. The service does cost money, if you want to wait it out you can do so and get the letters on June 4th and mail them directly to AADSAS, its cheaper but more of a pain since you have to make sure you can actually track your profs after the spring semester ends.

You can submit your application in June and take the DAT anytime after that. I submitted in June but did not take the exam until later. This saves you a ton of time because it takes AADSAS a few weeks to process your application.

Good luck and PM me if you have anymore questions.

I just want to make this clear, so you can send your transcripts to AADSAS to confirm using the transcript matching form before June 4th?

I just want to make this clear, so you can send your transcripts to AADSAS to confirm using the transcript matching form before June 4th?

The transcript matching form has your information already typed out, including your AADSAS number. I don't think you'll be able to get your transcript matching form until you create an account through AADSAS.

I gathered and submitted my transcripts after the application had opened. So if someone did this prior to June 1st, go ahead and share.

Thanks for the reply. Could I still apply and then take the DATs afterwards? Or do schools need everything at once?

You can apply and take the DAT later. The DAT only takes ~2 weeks to process so it's not a big deal if you take it later.

You wont have that form until the application cycle opens on June 4th. AADSAS also asks everyone not to send them anything earlier. If you do, they'll just probably throw it out.

see my PM.

Read step 9, it answers this question. Actually, you should read the whole thing while your at it.

http://howtostudyfordat.blogspot.com/p/admissions-tips.html