Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I am a 2011 cycle applicant, who will be applying to dental schools next June.
I would like to know when I should get the Recommendation Letter from the professors.. and my dentist.
For Dentist:
I am currently working at his office as a dental assistant.. and I really would like to get his recommendation as soon as I am done working for him this summer and leave back to school.
(Should I just give him a piece of paper and tell me to write me a recommendation? This Early??? I still have another 10 months before applying.. but I can get it now??)

For Professors:
I know I can't submit the recommendation until the start of next cycle since the requesting form won't be available online until then...
Then.. what should i do?? should I ask my professors to write me recommendations First (around May-April) then make him send the letters to AADSAS?? Or should I ask him to give it back to me so I can attach the Requesting form with it?
If I want him to send it.. then he would have to attach the LOE matching form and.. he will probably send it really late.. around July.. (latest).. even if I ask for recommendation in June..
help!

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
In this type of situation, health profession centers are a lot of help. Have your evaluators submit the letters to your school's center, and your school will hold on to your letter and submit them when the time comes next year.

sketo43

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2008
Status
Dental Student
If you want a LOE from the professor of a class that you've already taken, I think it's good to ask during this summer. That way they can write something before they forget who you are. Also, some professors are really slow - I requested a LOE from one professor last October, and he finally just submitted it - in July! Having 1 or 2 letters done early will make it less stressful for you when you're trying to submit applications next summer.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
What would the preference be given stale or fresh lors?

OP
J

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks so much guys.
What if my dentist wants to write my letter electronically?
This case.. I wouldn't need help from my schools' health professions office right?
Maybe, I probably need help from my school center for my professor's letters..