When should I schedule the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental1234555

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am planning to take the DAT in may so I can submit my application the first week they open the application, can I still take it in mid July and how would that affect my chance because I heard that we need to apply as soon as the application open for better chances. so if I take it in mid July but submit my application early July would that be better or is it better to submit with a DAT score

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

At most schools your application isn't considered complete or looked at until your DAT score is submitted. It's still a good idea to submit the application in advance though, so that way your application completes as soon as your scores are in and you aren't delayed by the application review process.

I don't think there's any real disadvantage to applying in July vs. as soon as the cycle opens - both are considered early in the cycle. Applying super early doesn't boost your chances of admission, it's more accurate to say that applying late (and late tends to mean post-August) hurts your chances because your interviews can get pushed to post-December when most of the seats have been filled and there are less available spots in dental schools that you're competing for.

In my opinion: it's better to take the DAT in mid-July if it means you'll do better than to apply a few weeks earlier with a lower score.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I am planning to take the DAT in may so I can submit my application the first week they open the application, can I still take it in mid July and how would that affect my chance because I heard that we need to apply as soon as the application open for better chances. so if I take it in mid July but submit my application early July would that be better or is it better to submit with a DAT score

Thank you
I have worked with students for several decades, don't be so focused on applying early, keep your focus getting a high DAT score, our summer students take the DAT in August and get acceptances the next cycle. Don't be pushed into taking it before you feel totally confident. You can submit your application early and submit your DAT score later. Don't make the mistake I see made over and over, rush to take the DAT, not score high enough and have to retake, when that situation occurs you have to wait 3 months and then you are really pushing it.

Focus on your classes now, keep as high a GPA as possible and you can begin reviewing for the DAT too.

Hope this helps and my ramble makes sense.

If you have questions I am always glad to help.

Nancy, co/owner DAT Destroyer

At most schools your application isn't considered complete or looked at until your DAT score is submitted. It's still a good idea to submit the application in advance though, so that way your application completes as soon as your scores are in and you aren't delayed by the application review process.

I don't think there's any real disadvantage to applying in July vs. as soon as the cycle opens - both are considered early in the cycle. Applying super early doesn't boost your chances of admission, it's more accurate to say that applying late (and late tends to mean post-August) hurts your chances because your interviews can get pushed to post-December when most of the seats have been filled and there are less available spots in dental schools that you're competing for.

In my opinion: it's better to take the DAT in mid-July if it means you'll do better than to apply a few weeks earlier with a lower score.

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked with students for several decades, don't be so focused on applying early, keep your focus getting a high DAT score, our summer students take the DAT in August and get acceptances the next cycle. Don't be pushed into taking it before you feel totally confident. You can submit your application early and submit your DAT score later. Don't make the mistake I see made over and over, rush to take the DAT, not score high enough and have to retake, when that situation occurs you have to wait 3 months and then you are really pushing it.

Focus on your classes now, keep as high a GPA as possible and you can begin reviewing for the DAT too.

Hope this helps and my ramble makes sense.

If you have questions I am always glad to help.

Nancy, co/owner DAT Destroyer

Thank you so much!