When should I start DPT prerequisites in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinksunflower

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start undergrad this month and I'm so excited. I want to major in Athletic Training and get my DPT afterwards.

I want to be extremely prepared for physical therapy school and start my undergrad with as much preparation as possible.

When should I start the prerequisites?

Please feel free to give me AS MUCH advice as you want. I'm eager to learn from all of you who have gone through undergrad.

Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Uhm, I guess it depends on what classes you have to take for your major, so you should probably talk to a major advisor. Just get as many done as you can before you apply.

I personally would wait at least a year to start the pre reqs. 1) you will have a few semesters to figure out how college works and how you study best. A lot of students earn lower grades their first year and go up from there purely because of the whole college transition. So if you wait a bit, you will be ready to kick butt and earn A's. 2) You could use your first year to do some observation hours in a PT setting. Maybe even a few times a month, nothing too major. That way you gain hours for your application while confirming you still like the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What the previous poster said...dont treat it as a sprint, its a marathon. So take your time and enjoy the college experience.

Pre-PT forum will have all of the information you need just waiting to be read.