When should I start DPT prerequisites in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinksunflower

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I start undergrad this month and I'm so excited. I want to major in Athletic Training and get my DPT afterwards.

I want to be extremely prepared for physical therapy school and start my undergrad with as much preparation as possible.

When should I start the prerequisites?

Please feel free to give me AS MUCH advice as you want. I'm eager to learn from all of you who have gone through undergrad.

Thanks!! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Uhm, I guess it depends on what classes you have to take for your major, so you should probably talk to a major advisor. Just get as many done as you can before you apply.
 
I personally would wait at least a year to start the pre reqs. 1) you will have a few semesters to figure out how college works and how you study best. A lot of students earn lower grades their first year and go up from there purely because of the whole college transition. So if you wait a bit, you will be ready to kick butt and earn A's. 2) You could use your first year to do some observation hours in a PT setting. Maybe even a few times a month, nothing too major. That way you gain hours for your application while confirming you still like the field.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What the previous poster said...dont treat it as a sprint, its a marathon. So take your time and enjoy the college experience.