When should I start my job search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ψ-117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be finishing my Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship in June 2017, but I'm beginning to wonder how soon I should start the process of finding and applying for my first job as an attending. Also, if anyone here is familiar with the NHSC, I am a scholar and will need to have my job approved by them before I can accept the position; I figure this will probably require that I start my job search a little earlier than most.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be finishing my Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship in June 2017, but I'm beginning to wonder how soon I should start the process of finding and applying for my first job as an attending.
I'm a year ahead of you. I started looking after Thanksgiving and started reaching out to places in early December. I interviewed at 2 places in December and plan to interview with 3 in January/first week or two of February. By the end of February I should be all set.

Others like having more options and started a little earlier. I also know the area well so I knew more or less what was available in advance.