When should I start panicking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bambam987654

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I received the "app complete" emails for all 12 of my schools between 9/3 and 9/19. I have a December interview at UW (my state school) - for which the turnaround was really short - but have only gotten radio silence from the other schools. I did get a "continuing review"/soft rejection email from OHSU, but that was more or less expected because of my residency... I know I'm really fortunate to have an interview, but I'm beginning to really worry about not getting updates from any other schools.

Is it time to panic about having to putting all my eggs in one basket? Or can I afford to not freak out for a bit longer? Thanks in advance for your insights!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting an interview at your state school is never a cause for panic. One state school interview is probably worth 2-3 random OOS interviews. Prepare thoroughly, be confident, and make it count.

As far as other schools go, you are totally out of the running for pre-december interviews. But you might hear something about interviews for early next year. Schools will interview through the spring in order to fill their class.

Getting an interview at your state school is never a cause for panic. One state school interview is probably worth 2-3 random OOS interviews. Prepare thoroughly, be confident, and make it count.

As far as other schools go, you are totally out of the running for pre-december interviews. But you might hear something about interviews for early next year. Schools will interview through the spring in order to fill their class.

Thanks. Yes, I'm definitely aware that any invites I get from now on will be post-December. Not that I'd mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, just prepare and NAIL it! For most people, an interview from a state school is a complete blessing, so just make it count. Print off a variety of questions from the interview feedback section (you can even use those from other schools), and sort of just prepare some basic outlines of answers you could use. I'm bad to blank on these sorts of things when I'm really nervous, but having discussed some of them beforehand with my mom and dad really helped me to go in prepared. Obviously, you don't want to MEMORIZE anything because that could come across really strange and stilted--but it's good to have some potential topics on the back burner that you can pull out if needed. Even better if you can come up with some things you've achieved and/or dealt with in life that sort of fit into a lot of overarching question categories. :)

When I was in high school, I went in "green" for an interview for a major scholarship and it did not go nearly as well as I feel like my interviews are going now. I wish I had prepared back then, but I really didn't think about it!

Embrace the present and prepare for the future.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat as you.

I applied to 11, been rejected from one, soft rejection from another, and interview at LECOM. My stats are pretty competitive, at least I think they are, and the fact that I still have yet to hear from 8 more schools is driving me crazy. Be very happy you have an in-state interview already, especially UW! Just know that there are others in the same situation as you, so we're all hanging in there together!

Remember, you just need the one to get in and you'll be on your way to becoming a dentist!

Stay positive and hopeful, things will work out.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I applied to 11, been rejected from one, soft rejection from another, and interview at LECOM. My stats are pretty competitive, at least I think they are, and the fact that I still have yet to hear from 8 more schools is driving me crazy. Be very happy you have an in-state interview already, especially UW! Just know that there are others in the same situation as you, so we're all hanging in there together!

Remember, you just need the one to get in and you'll be on your way to becoming a dentist!

Stay positive and hopeful, things will work out.
whats your GPA? your DAT is spectacular.

whats your GPA? your DAT is spectacular.

I've got a 3.37 science, 3.38 BCP, and 3.47 non-science, and 3.37 overall. So on the lower end, but definitely not outrageously low. Also coming from UCLA, which is known to have some grade deflation, but I know that's not an excuse.

I've got a 3.37 science, 3.38 BCP, and 3.47 non-science, and 3.37 overall. So on the lower end, but definitely not outrageously low. Also coming from UCLA, which is known to have some grade deflation, but I know that's not an excuse.

Have you called UCSF to ask why you were rejected? That might help shed some light on the issue at hand. Plus, if you find out what is wrong (if there actually IS something wrong--there may very well not be), you could maybe rectify it with the other schools to which you applied.

I keep waiting for UConn to just go ahead and reject me because I REALLY want to know why!! This whole process has been so crazy. Pulling for you!

You can still receive pre-December interviews... Last Monday and Friday I received November interviews to OOS schools! Don't get discouraged yet!

Is it time to panic about having to putting all my eggs in one basket?
hu11g.jpg

You can still receive pre-December interviews... Last Monday and Friday I received November interviews to OOS schools! Don't get discouraged yet!
Where at if I may ask??